Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
My friends were dealing with a daughter who was struggling physically and emotionally. Unable to determine the source of her problems, they were getting stretched thin. Not surprisingly, as their precious girl struggled with her anxiety, that invisible foe with physical manifestations, they too started to become anxious.
The world events over the past few years have led many people to experience anxious times. And while anxiety has different degrees of severity, with some people needing professional help, the apostle Peter has given us a prescription for dealing with it: "Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about you" (1 Peter 5:7).
Peter's two-pronged plan leads us to:
â€¢ Act. We can actively release our concerns to Jesus. The verb give, in verse 7, literally means "to throw upon." By "tossing" our worries to Him, we can experience a release from the anxiety that's threatening to take us down (Matthew 6:25-34).
â€¢ Acknowledge. We can be encouraged and sustained by the recognition that "He cares about [us]" (1 Peter 5:7). Instead of staying in emotional turmoil, we have the uplifting opportunity to look to the One who cares and provides for us (Philippians 4:19).
One of Peter's traveling companions, the apostle Paul, expresses some similar thoughts: "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done" (4:6). Both men faced "high anxiety" situations in which their faith was tested, so their words come from real experience.
Take Peter and Paul's words to heart if you're feeling anxious today. By taking action (giving your troubles to God) and acknowledging God's care for you (looking to Him, not to your own resources), you can find rest and restoration (1 Peter 5:10).
, Tom Felten
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more