The Job ParadoxWhen have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?
Top Music Videos
He Will Come
1 Corinthians 1:6
Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for
the return of our Lord Jesus Christ (v.7).
Four years ago, I became the primary caregiver for
a 7-year-old Ugandan boy who was dying of Acute
Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
During the first 3 weeks that I attended to Okello, he was
unable to see me because of painful, blinding tumors that
shrouded both his eyes. Okello was able to recognize me,
however, whenever I entered his hospital room. He could
also detect my patterns of caring for him, which included
bringing him a daily staple of peanut butter crackers.
Though we were in the midst of earthly suffering and
sorrow, the nurses in the cancer ward became our friends
and we enjoyed joking with one another. I often think
back to one afternoon in particular when one of the nurses
noticed an unopened package of the peanut butter crackers
in Okello’s shirt pocket. “If you don’t eat those,” the nurse
teased him, “your Auntie Rox won’t return to bring you any
more.” “She will come,” was Okello’s response.
I was awed by my young friend’s confidence that I
would come back for him. It caused me to consider the
immense pleasure God must experience when we display
trust in His return for us.
Jesus, after all, has already proven Himself to be
trustworthy. He came to earth on a journey infinitely more
sacrificial, meaningful, and purposeful than any sojourn
you or I could ever make for another. Jesus alone “died
for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when He
returns, we can live with Him forever” (1 Thessalonians 5:10). Yes, He will come.
While we wait for that glorious day, we can take comfort in the promises that
God will keep us “strong to the end” and that He “who began the good work
within [us], will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when
Christ Jesus returns” (1 Corinthians 1:8; Philippians 1:6).
What does it mean to you to “hold firmly to the Word of life”?
- The Job Paradox - When have you missed an opportunity to follow God’s guidance during a difficult time?...read more
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more