The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
He Will Come
1 Corinthians 1:6
Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for
the return of our Lord Jesus Christ (v.7).
Four years ago, I became the primary caregiver for
a 7-year-old Ugandan boy who was dying of Acute
Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
During the first 3 weeks that I attended to Okello, he was
unable to see me because of painful, blinding tumors that
shrouded both his eyes. Okello was able to recognize me,
however, whenever I entered his hospital room. He could
also detect my patterns of caring for him, which included
bringing him a daily staple of peanut butter crackers.
Though we were in the midst of earthly suffering and
sorrow, the nurses in the cancer ward became our friends
and we enjoyed joking with one another. I often think
back to one afternoon in particular when one of the nurses
noticed an unopened package of the peanut butter crackers
in Okello’s shirt pocket. “If you don’t eat those,” the nurse
teased him, “your Auntie Rox won’t return to bring you any
more.” “She will come,” was Okello’s response.
I was awed by my young friend’s confidence that I
would come back for him. It caused me to consider the
immense pleasure God must experience when we display
trust in His return for us.
Jesus, after all, has already proven Himself to be
trustworthy. He came to earth on a journey infinitely more
sacrificial, meaningful, and purposeful than any sojourn
you or I could ever make for another. Jesus alone “died
for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when He
returns, we can live with Him forever” (1 Thessalonians 5:10). Yes, He will come.
While we wait for that glorious day, we can take comfort in the promises that
God will keep us “strong to the end” and that He “who began the good work
within [us], will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when
Christ Jesus returns” (1 Corinthians 1:8; Philippians 1:6).
What does it mean to you to “hold firmly to the Word of life”?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more