Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
He Will Come
1 Corinthians 1:6
Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for
the return of our Lord Jesus Christ (v.7).
Four years ago, I became the primary caregiver for
a 7-year-old Ugandan boy who was dying of Acute
Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
During the first 3 weeks that I attended to Okello, he was
unable to see me because of painful, blinding tumors that
shrouded both his eyes. Okello was able to recognize me,
however, whenever I entered his hospital room. He could
also detect my patterns of caring for him, which included
bringing him a daily staple of peanut butter crackers.
Though we were in the midst of earthly suffering and
sorrow, the nurses in the cancer ward became our friends
and we enjoyed joking with one another. I often think
back to one afternoon in particular when one of the nurses
noticed an unopened package of the peanut butter crackers
in Okello’s shirt pocket. “If you don’t eat those,” the nurse
teased him, “your Auntie Rox won’t return to bring you any
more.” “She will come,” was Okello’s response.
I was awed by my young friend’s confidence that I
would come back for him. It caused me to consider the
immense pleasure God must experience when we display
trust in His return for us.
Jesus, after all, has already proven Himself to be
trustworthy. He came to earth on a journey infinitely more
sacrificial, meaningful, and purposeful than any sojourn
you or I could ever make for another. Jesus alone “died
for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when He
returns, we can live with Him forever” (1 Thessalonians 5:10). Yes, He will come.
While we wait for that glorious day, we can take comfort in the promises that
God will keep us “strong to the end” and that He “who began the good work
within [us], will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when
Christ Jesus returns” (1 Corinthians 1:8; Philippians 1:6).
What does it mean to you to “hold firmly to the Word of life”?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more