A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
Money or Mobility?
Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).
I hardly ever encounter beggars on the streets. But in some countries, you can find them begging at the markets and shopping malls. Once, when visiting a neighboring country, my hosts told me that for my own sake I had to ignore the beggars. If I showed the slightest interest in one, he would pursue and pester me until I gave him some money. And the moment I gave to one I would be very quickly swarmed by many others.
In Acts 3:1, we read of a man crippled from birth. He had to be carried and placed outside the temple gates where he would beg from the worshipers going into the temple. Calling out to anyone who cared enough to stop and help him, he was just one of thousands of beggars who depended on people’s kindness to survive. Having done this for many years (Acts 4:22), he was accustomed to being shunned, ignored, and rejected.
But then Peter and John came to the temple to pray. The beggar called out to them, hardly expecting that they would notice him. Instead, they demanded his undivided attention, making sure that he knew he had been intentionally singled out (3:4). The man merely wanted money (v.5), but they gave him much more. They gave him a miracle. They gave him mobility and a new life (vv.6-9).
We cry out to God to meet our needs. Often, what we think we need isn’t what we truly need. It’s something deeper. Thankfully, God knows what our real needs are. In His grace, God doesn’t just give us what we ask for. He gives us something immeasurably better (Ephesians 3:20; 1 Timothy 1:14).
If I were that beggar, would I merely be asking for money to survive? Or would I seek what would allow me to really live?
How have you become insensitive and immunized to the cries of people asking for help? This week, with whom can you share your “silver and gold”?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more