Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Money or Mobility?
Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think (Ephesians 3:20).
I hardly ever encounter beggars on the streets. But in some countries, you can find them begging at the markets and shopping malls. Once, when visiting a neighboring country, my hosts told me that for my own sake I had to ignore the beggars. If I showed the slightest interest in one, he would pursue and pester me until I gave him some money. And the moment I gave to one I would be very quickly swarmed by many others.
In Acts 3:1, we read of a man crippled from birth. He had to be carried and placed outside the temple gates where he would beg from the worshipers going into the temple. Calling out to anyone who cared enough to stop and help him, he was just one of thousands of beggars who depended on people’s kindness to survive. Having done this for many years (Acts 4:22), he was accustomed to being shunned, ignored, and rejected.
But then Peter and John came to the temple to pray. The beggar called out to them, hardly expecting that they would notice him. Instead, they demanded his undivided attention, making sure that he knew he had been intentionally singled out (3:4). The man merely wanted money (v.5), but they gave him much more. They gave him a miracle. They gave him mobility and a new life (vv.6-9).
We cry out to God to meet our needs. Often, what we think we need isn’t what we truly need. It’s something deeper. Thankfully, God knows what our real needs are. In His grace, God doesn’t just give us what we ask for. He gives us something immeasurably better (Ephesians 3:20; 1 Timothy 1:14).
If I were that beggar, would I merely be asking for money to survive? Or would I seek what would allow me to really live?
How have you become insensitive and immunized to the cries of people asking for help? This week, with whom can you share your “silver and gold”?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more