Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to
A father was trying to explain to his 5-year-old
daughter how she could see and speak with her
mother using a smartphone. He tried his best
to explain how technology had put her mother inside
the phone but to no avail. Sensing his exasperation, the
daughter said, “Daddy, I don’t need to know how the
phone works as long as I can talk with Mommy!”
David knew that there were many things in his life that
he simply could not and would not understand (Psalm
131:1). There is much about God and His ways that
far exceeds our human ability and capacity (Job 42:3;
Ecclesiastes 11:5; Isaiah 55:8-9; Romans 11:33-34).
So David humbly accepted the impossibility of trying to
figure God out: “I don’t concern myself with matters too
great or too awesome for me to grasp” (Psalm 131:1).
David was not the first to admit that he couldn’t fully
know God. Three millennia earlier, Job, a godly man
(Job 1:1), stated this challenge: “Can you solve the
mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about
the Almighty?” (11:7).
God wants us to know Him (Jeremiah 24:7, 31:33-
34). He’s revealed Himself to us through His Word (Amos
3:7; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 1:1) and through His Son
(Matthew 11:27; John 8:19, 14:7; Hebrews 1:2). He’s
given us the Holy Spirit to teach us (John 16:13;
1 Corinthians 2:10-12). Those who have eternal life can
now know God (John 17:3).
David chose not to be troubled by the matters that properly belonged to God
(Psalm 131:1; Deuteronomy 29:29). Instead, like a weaned child enjoying the
protection, provision, and presence of a mother (Psalm 131:2), David calmly trusted
God with a childlike faith (v.2). A faith characterized by humble dependency (v.1),
calm contentment, confident trust (v.2), and unfailing hope (v.3).
Do you agree or disagree that God is inscrutable and His ways
beyond understanding? Why or why not? What does Deuteronomy 29:29 say about God’s inscrutability, His revelation, and our
What aspects of God and His ways are you struggling to understand
at this time? How has Psalms 131:1 helped you?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more