Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to
A father was trying to explain to his 5-year-old
daughter how she could see and speak with her
mother using a smartphone. He tried his best
to explain how technology had put her mother inside
the phone but to no avail. Sensing his exasperation, the
daughter said, “Daddy, I don’t need to know how the
phone works as long as I can talk with Mommy!”
David knew that there were many things in his life that
he simply could not and would not understand (Psalm
131:1). There is much about God and His ways that
far exceeds our human ability and capacity (Job 42:3;
Ecclesiastes 11:5; Isaiah 55:8-9; Romans 11:33-34).
So David humbly accepted the impossibility of trying to
figure God out: “I don’t concern myself with matters too
great or too awesome for me to grasp” (Psalm 131:1).
David was not the first to admit that he couldn’t fully
know God. Three millennia earlier, Job, a godly man
(Job 1:1), stated this challenge: “Can you solve the
mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about
the Almighty?” (11:7).
God wants us to know Him (Jeremiah 24:7, 31:33-
34). He’s revealed Himself to us through His Word (Amos
3:7; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 1:1) and through His Son
(Matthew 11:27; John 8:19, 14:7; Hebrews 1:2). He’s
given us the Holy Spirit to teach us (John 16:13;
1 Corinthians 2:10-12). Those who have eternal life can
now know God (John 17:3).
David chose not to be troubled by the matters that properly belonged to God
(Psalm 131:1; Deuteronomy 29:29). Instead, like a weaned child enjoying the
protection, provision, and presence of a mother (Psalm 131:2), David calmly trusted
God with a childlike faith (v.2). A faith characterized by humble dependency (v.1),
calm contentment, confident trust (v.2), and unfailing hope (v.3).
Do you agree or disagree that God is inscrutable and His ways
beyond understanding? Why or why not? What does Deuteronomy 29:29 say about God’s inscrutability, His revelation, and our
What aspects of God and His ways are you struggling to understand
at this time? How has Psalms 131:1 helped you?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more