Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to
A father was trying to explain to his 5-year-old
daughter how she could see and speak with her
mother using a smartphone. He tried his best
to explain how technology had put her mother inside
the phone but to no avail. Sensing his exasperation, the
daughter said, “Daddy, I don’t need to know how the
phone works as long as I can talk with Mommy!”
David knew that there were many things in his life that
he simply could not and would not understand (Psalm
131:1). There is much about God and His ways that
far exceeds our human ability and capacity (Job 42:3;
Ecclesiastes 11:5; Isaiah 55:8-9; Romans 11:33-34).
So David humbly accepted the impossibility of trying to
figure God out: “I don’t concern myself with matters too
great or too awesome for me to grasp” (Psalm 131:1).
David was not the first to admit that he couldn’t fully
know God. Three millennia earlier, Job, a godly man
(Job 1:1), stated this challenge: “Can you solve the
mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about
the Almighty?” (11:7).
God wants us to know Him (Jeremiah 24:7, 31:33-
34). He’s revealed Himself to us through His Word (Amos
3:7; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 1:1) and through His Son
(Matthew 11:27; John 8:19, 14:7; Hebrews 1:2). He’s
given us the Holy Spirit to teach us (John 16:13;
1 Corinthians 2:10-12). Those who have eternal life can
now know God (John 17:3).
David chose not to be troubled by the matters that properly belonged to God
(Psalm 131:1; Deuteronomy 29:29). Instead, like a weaned child enjoying the
protection, provision, and presence of a mother (Psalm 131:2), David calmly trusted
God with a childlike faith (v.2). A faith characterized by humble dependency (v.1),
calm contentment, confident trust (v.2), and unfailing hope (v.3).
Do you agree or disagree that God is inscrutable and His ways
beyond understanding? Why or why not? What does Deuteronomy 29:29 say about God’s inscrutability, His revelation, and our
What aspects of God and His ways are you struggling to understand
at this time? How has Psalms 131:1 helped you?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more