Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
I don’t concern myself with matters too great or too awesome for me to
A father was trying to explain to his 5-year-old
daughter how she could see and speak with her
mother using a smartphone. He tried his best
to explain how technology had put her mother inside
the phone but to no avail. Sensing his exasperation, the
daughter said, “Daddy, I don’t need to know how the
phone works as long as I can talk with Mommy!”
David knew that there were many things in his life that
he simply could not and would not understand (Psalm
131:1). There is much about God and His ways that
far exceeds our human ability and capacity (Job 42:3;
Ecclesiastes 11:5; Isaiah 55:8-9; Romans 11:33-34).
So David humbly accepted the impossibility of trying to
figure God out: “I don’t concern myself with matters too
great or too awesome for me to grasp” (Psalm 131:1).
David was not the first to admit that he couldn’t fully
know God. Three millennia earlier, Job, a godly man
(Job 1:1), stated this challenge: “Can you solve the
mysteries of God? Can you discover everything about
the Almighty?” (11:7).
God wants us to know Him (Jeremiah 24:7, 31:33-
34). He’s revealed Himself to us through His Word (Amos
3:7; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Hebrews 1:1) and through His Son
(Matthew 11:27; John 8:19, 14:7; Hebrews 1:2). He’s
given us the Holy Spirit to teach us (John 16:13;
1 Corinthians 2:10-12). Those who have eternal life can
now know God (John 17:3).
David chose not to be troubled by the matters that properly belonged to God
(Psalm 131:1; Deuteronomy 29:29). Instead, like a weaned child enjoying the
protection, provision, and presence of a mother (Psalm 131:2), David calmly trusted
God with a childlike faith (v.2). A faith characterized by humble dependency (v.1),
calm contentment, confident trust (v.2), and unfailing hope (v.3).
Do you agree or disagree that God is inscrutable and His ways
beyond understanding? Why or why not? What does Deuteronomy 29:29 say about God’s inscrutability, His revelation, and our
What aspects of God and His ways are you struggling to understand
at this time? How has Psalms 131:1 helped you?
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more