What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
When world-renowned tenor Luciano Pavarotti was a youth, he became the pupil of a professional tenor in Italy. Later, he studied music education in college. Upon graduating, he asked his father, "Shall I be a teacher or a singer?"
"Luciano," his father replied, "if you try to sit on two chairs, you will fall between them. For life, you must choose one chair."
In Luke 14:25-35, Jesus presented a similar message to a large crowd of people who were following Him. His "sermon" made it clear that He wanted single-minded commitment. He wanted men and women who had truly counted the cost of discipleship and were prepared to follow Him. So He listed the demands (vv.26-27), decisions (vv.28-33), and distinctiveness (vv.34-35) of discipleship.
In His message, Jesus gave illustrations of two people who start a project without counting the cost. The consequences of failing to do so include shame and humiliation.
While counting the cost implies that time and thought are required when one considers becoming a disciple of Jesus, no one has the resources to follow Him on his or her own. He gives us what we need to follow Him. Counting the cost, therefore, is not about evaluating whether we have what it takes to do what He commands; rather, it indicates a real commitment to let go of anything that could come between Jesus and us. We must choose to place Him before family and possessions, and to take up our cross daily. We are then freed to follow Him fully in complete allegiance and dependence.
It's been said that there are only two ways to take a thing seriously, either reject it or risk everything for it. Discipleship begins by recognizing the high price required, and, without reserve, casting ourselves upon the sustaining grace and strength found in Jesus alone. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more