Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Death scares me. I love my life, and I don't want it to end. There's also a part of me that wonders what the afterlife is really like. What if it's different from what the Bible says?
Some people might think that my fears are unchristian and a threat to my faith. On the contrary, I think that they're not only normal, who honestly isn't afraid of the great beyond?, but they also play an important role in my faith. Fear doesn't prevent me from having faith; fear actually presents the possibility for great faith.
It was no great thing for Peter to walk on land, but to lower himself over the side of the boat and splash through whitecaps toward our Lord, that took faith. We can, of course, allow fear to overwhelm us to the point of losing faith. But we can also channel our fear into Peter's desperate cry as he began to sink, "Save me, Lord!" (Matthew 14:30).
Having faith does not mean that we're not afraid. It gives us the courage to stand tall and to hang on in the middle of our fears. And the greater our fears, the stronger our faith can become.
We place our faith in Jesus, whose resurrection has defeated death. If we minimize death and claim that it's no big deal, then we inadvertently also cheapen Christ's resurrection that conquered it. But if we honestly admit that death is the enemy that terrifies us, then we can begin to appreciate the unparalleled power of the resurrection.
Faith isn't about suppressing fear and pretending that everything is okay. But it does allow us to swallow hard, with shaky knees and sweaty palms, and cling to God's promise that we will live again. Death is frightening, and for that reason it provides the ultimate test of our faith. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more