Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Recently, I stopped at a fast-food restaurant for a quick bite to eat. I placed my order at the drive-thru, picked up my beverage and chicken sandwich (minus the sauce), and was all set for an uneventful meal, or so I thought. A minute later, as I went to take a sip of my soft drink, the plastic lid on my paper cup popped off. Instinctively, I squeezed the cup to minimize the mess, but it only made things worse.
Along with again being certain I was born to spill things, the incident reminded me how much can go wrong in a relationship when we hold on too tight. If we turn into the clingy smothering type where it becomes all about us, we'll end up squeezing the life out of those we claim to love.
The New Testament speaks about a more balanced approach to relationships: "Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too" (Philippians 2:4). We're talking mutual consideration. Without it, relationships often become one-sided and oppressive.
If we feel as if the lid is coming off a friendship, dating relationship, or marriage, putting the squeeze on others is anything but mutually thoughtful. Conversely, the lyrics of a 1980s song encourages listeners to "hold on loosely," but not "let go," Not bad advice. In our close relationships, we need to always give the other person "someone to believe in" and lots of room "to breathe in."
Even Jesus exhibited the importance of holding things loosely in relationships. The Bible says, "Though He was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to" (Philippians 2:6). Everyone has legitimate needs. But if we're after healthy and Christlike relationships, let's remember to "hold on loosely" by thinking of what's best for others. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more