Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Recently, I stopped at a fast-food restaurant for a quick bite to eat. I placed my order at the drive-thru, picked up my beverage and chicken sandwich (minus the sauce), and was all set for an uneventful meal, or so I thought. A minute later, as I went to take a sip of my soft drink, the plastic lid on my paper cup popped off. Instinctively, I squeezed the cup to minimize the mess, but it only made things worse.
Along with again being certain I was born to spill things, the incident reminded me how much can go wrong in a relationship when we hold on too tight. If we turn into the clingy smothering type where it becomes all about us, we'll end up squeezing the life out of those we claim to love.
The New Testament speaks about a more balanced approach to relationships: "Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too" (Philippians 2:4). We're talking mutual consideration. Without it, relationships often become one-sided and oppressive.
If we feel as if the lid is coming off a friendship, dating relationship, or marriage, putting the squeeze on others is anything but mutually thoughtful. Conversely, the lyrics of a 1980s song encourages listeners to "hold on loosely," but not "let go," Not bad advice. In our close relationships, we need to always give the other person "someone to believe in" and lots of room "to breathe in."
Even Jesus exhibited the importance of holding things loosely in relationships. The Bible says, "Though He was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to" (Philippians 2:6). Everyone has legitimate needs. But if we're after healthy and Christlike relationships, let's remember to "hold on loosely" by thinking of what's best for others. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more