The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Why The Bible Matters
When you received His message from us, you didn’t think of our words as mere human ideas. You accepted what we said as the very Word of God (v.13).
In his article Does the Bible Matter in the 21st Century? author Vishal Mangalwadi lifts up the inestimable worth of God’s Word. He also notes that bad things happen when a country chooses to ignore the Bible’s wisdom. He writes, “[The US] was built by an ethic—a spirituality that taught citizens to work, earn, save, invest, and use their wealth to serve their neighbors. This biblical ethic has been replaced by secularism’s entitlement culture that teaches people that they have a right to this, that, and the other without corresponding obligations to work, save, and serve.”
That statement reflects the culture in many countries around the world. The apostle Paul, however, saw the church at Thessalonica embrace a very high view of Scripture and the biblical ethic. The people “received [God’s] message” and “accepted what we said as the very Word of God” (1 Thessalonians 1:13). By doing so, they were choosing “to please God, not people” (v.4).
To embrace a high view of Scripture today means that you’ll be swimming upstream in a culture that doesn’t believe in it. You’ll have to accept that human praise will not be coming your way (v.6). But as you live out what God’s Word teaches and commands, you’ll be leading a life “that God would consider worthy” (v.12).
The Bible matters, for it’s the foundation of a life that glorifies God and possesses the life-changing wisdom we need. Paul writes, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16).
That’s why the Bible matters.
Read Revelation 3:8 and see what Jesus lifts up as the good things the church in Philadelphia had been doing.
What would your friends and family say about how much the Bible matters to you? In what ways can you use God’s Word to positively impact your culture?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more