What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Why The Bible Matters
When you received His message from us, you didn’t think of our words as mere human ideas. You accepted what we said as the very Word of God (v.13).
In his article Does the Bible Matter in the 21st Century? author Vishal Mangalwadi lifts up the inestimable worth of God’s Word. He also notes that bad things happen when a country chooses to ignore the Bible’s wisdom. He writes, “[The US] was built by an ethic—a spirituality that taught citizens to work, earn, save, invest, and use their wealth to serve their neighbors. This biblical ethic has been replaced by secularism’s entitlement culture that teaches people that they have a right to this, that, and the other without corresponding obligations to work, save, and serve.”
That statement reflects the culture in many countries around the world. The apostle Paul, however, saw the church at Thessalonica embrace a very high view of Scripture and the biblical ethic. The people “received [God’s] message” and “accepted what we said as the very Word of God” (1 Thessalonians 1:13). By doing so, they were choosing “to please God, not people” (v.4).
To embrace a high view of Scripture today means that you’ll be swimming upstream in a culture that doesn’t believe in it. You’ll have to accept that human praise will not be coming your way (v.6). But as you live out what God’s Word teaches and commands, you’ll be leading a life “that God would consider worthy” (v.12).
The Bible matters, for it’s the foundation of a life that glorifies God and possesses the life-changing wisdom we need. Paul writes, “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16).
That’s why the Bible matters.
Read Revelation 3:8 and see what Jesus lifts up as the good things the church in Philadelphia had been doing.
What would your friends and family say about how much the Bible matters to you? In what ways can you use God’s Word to positively impact your culture?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more