MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Shusaku Endo, widely acclaimed as Japan's finest modern novelist, penned Silence, a haunting story raising questions about Western religious assumptions concerning Jesus and the gospel. Emerging from his dual (and unique) identity as a Japanese Catholic, Endo used his novels and essays to push forward these core beliefs: Jesus' story was not imprisoned by the West, and essential to the gospel is its power to embody anew Japan's people, and all people. "Unless there is in [Christianity] a part that corresponds to Japan's mud swamp," said Endo, "it cannot be a true religion."
Though Endo wrestled with the implications (and though not all agree with the way Endo worked it out), he insisted on one of Christianity's most elemental assertions: the incarnation, the fantastic belief that God came and lived as a human. Jesus met us in ways we could comprehend. Jesus became, for us, a God we could touch.
When Jesus appeared in first-century Palestine, He didn't come as a mist or mirage. He was not some form of alternate consciousness. Rather, Jesus came as a man with a name; and He came to particular people, other human beings with names and stories all their own.
Jesus was most often found with people, participating in their life: attending parties (John 2), eating with the hungry (Luke 9), telling stories to anyone who cared to listen (Mark 4). Then, when Jesus met His friends after the cross, He (again) "was standing there among them," as He always had (John 20:19). Even more, "He showed them the wounds in His hands and His side" (v.20). Physical. Present.
Along with Endo, Christians proclaim that Jesus comes to all people. We believe in, and have experienced, a Jesus who comes near, a Jesus standing here, with us. Right beside us. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more