Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Harold J. Ockenga, friend of Billy Graham and first president of Fuller Seminary and the National Association of Evangelicals, was one of the founding fathers of American evangelicalism. But like most great leaders, Ockenga was not perfect. His problem was sarcasm.
The same brilliant mind and quick tongue that enabled Ockenga to shine in the pulpit also wreaked havoc on his friendships. He wrote in his journal that his tendency to denigrate others "follows me wherever I go, which causes people to not like to be with me." His friends confronted him, and his girlfriend threatened to break up with him, but he never completely conquered his penchant for the put-down.
How different was Jesus! Although He is the perfect person, Jesus never used His excellence as an excuse to be critical of others. He didn't take cheap shots and exaggerate the weaknesses of others for effect. Jesus didn't mock James and John as "Mama's boys" or call Peter "Mr. Motormouth." He didn't even think He had to win every argument. When a Gentile woman rebutted His statement that "It isn't right to take food from the children and throw it to the dogs," Jesus replied, "Good answer!" and healed her daughter (Mark 7:27-30).
Jesus used His perfection and power to inspire others. He released an adulteress to "go and sin no more" (John 8:11), announced to a repentant tax cheat: "Salvation has come to this home today" (Luke 19:9), and invited bumbling disciples to "take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:29). It doesn't take talent, beauty, or money to be a friend like Jesus. Friends will find you if you listen, care, and provide a safe place to rest. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more