Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Harold J. Ockenga, friend of Billy Graham and first president of Fuller Seminary and the National Association of Evangelicals, was one of the founding fathers of American evangelicalism. But like most great leaders, Ockenga was not perfect. His problem was sarcasm.
The same brilliant mind and quick tongue that enabled Ockenga to shine in the pulpit also wreaked havoc on his friendships. He wrote in his journal that his tendency to denigrate others "follows me wherever I go, which causes people to not like to be with me." His friends confronted him, and his girlfriend threatened to break up with him, but he never completely conquered his penchant for the put-down.
How different was Jesus! Although He is the perfect person, Jesus never used His excellence as an excuse to be critical of others. He didn't take cheap shots and exaggerate the weaknesses of others for effect. Jesus didn't mock James and John as "Mama's boys" or call Peter "Mr. Motormouth." He didn't even think He had to win every argument. When a Gentile woman rebutted His statement that "It isn't right to take food from the children and throw it to the dogs," Jesus replied, "Good answer!" and healed her daughter (Mark 7:27-30).
Jesus used His perfection and power to inspire others. He released an adulteress to "go and sin no more" (John 8:11), announced to a repentant tax cheat: "Salvation has come to this home today" (Luke 19:9), and invited bumbling disciples to "take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:29). It doesn't take talent, beauty, or money to be a friend like Jesus. Friends will find you if you listen, care, and provide a safe place to rest. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more