"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place (v.13).
Recently, coffee drinkers in Helsinki, Finland, could visit a café called Kauko for a free cup of coffee. Sipping java at the Kauko coffee shop meant, however, that they were at the mercy of Internet users who controlled the shop’s environment. These “java gods” could adjust the lighting, music, and furniture for a total of one minute, and webcams allowed Internet users to watch people react to their changes.
While the java gods could claim power for a limited time, in a finite space, God has the ultimate control over everything that exists (Psalms 115:3). He showcased His sovereignty during a battle between the Israelites and droves of Amorite warriors. “The Lord threw [the Amorites] into a panic” (Joshua 10:10), and this allowed the Israelites to knock off great numbers of them. God’s action on Israel’s behalf shows that He has power over people who oppose us.
As the Amorites tried to escape, the Lord pitched a “hailstorm from heaven” in their direction. “The hail killed more of the enemy than the Israelites killed with the sword” (v.11), proving that God can change the weather in a moment. Every raindrop, ocean wave, and gust of wind responds to His command. Not only does God rule the earth and its climate, but His power extends throughout the universe as well. As Israel continued to obliterate the opposing forces, the nation began to run out of time. God stepped in again and answered Joshua’s request for more daylight (v.12). “So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place” (v.13).
Remembering God’s sovereign power can free us from “playing god” in our own lives. We don’t need to mold every circumstance for our greatest gain. We can loosen our grip on the people we live with. We can be still, and know that He is God (Psalms 46:10).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How does God’s sovereignty affect your understanding of His will for your life? How do the mightiest forces of nature illustrate or point to God’s power?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more