Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place (v.13).
Recently, coffee drinkers in Helsinki, Finland, could visit a café called Kauko for a free cup of coffee. Sipping java at the Kauko coffee shop meant, however, that they were at the mercy of Internet users who controlled the shop’s environment. These “java gods” could adjust the lighting, music, and furniture for a total of one minute, and webcams allowed Internet users to watch people react to their changes.
While the java gods could claim power for a limited time, in a finite space, God has the ultimate control over everything that exists (Psalms 115:3). He showcased His sovereignty during a battle between the Israelites and droves of Amorite warriors. “The Lord threw [the Amorites] into a panic” (Joshua 10:10), and this allowed the Israelites to knock off great numbers of them. God’s action on Israel’s behalf shows that He has power over people who oppose us.
As the Amorites tried to escape, the Lord pitched a “hailstorm from heaven” in their direction. “The hail killed more of the enemy than the Israelites killed with the sword” (v.11), proving that God can change the weather in a moment. Every raindrop, ocean wave, and gust of wind responds to His command. Not only does God rule the earth and its climate, but His power extends throughout the universe as well. As Israel continued to obliterate the opposing forces, the nation began to run out of time. God stepped in again and answered Joshua’s request for more daylight (v.12). “So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place” (v.13).
Remembering God’s sovereign power can free us from “playing god” in our own lives. We don’t need to mold every circumstance for our greatest gain. We can loosen our grip on the people we live with. We can be still, and know that He is God (Psalms 46:10).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How does God’s sovereignty affect your understanding of His will for your life? How do the mightiest forces of nature illustrate or point to God’s power?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more