What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place (v.13).
Recently, coffee drinkers in Helsinki, Finland, could visit a café called Kauko for a free cup of coffee. Sipping java at the Kauko coffee shop meant, however, that they were at the mercy of Internet users who controlled the shop’s environment. These “java gods” could adjust the lighting, music, and furniture for a total of one minute, and webcams allowed Internet users to watch people react to their changes.
While the java gods could claim power for a limited time, in a finite space, God has the ultimate control over everything that exists (Psalms 115:3). He showcased His sovereignty during a battle between the Israelites and droves of Amorite warriors. “The Lord threw [the Amorites] into a panic” (Joshua 10:10), and this allowed the Israelites to knock off great numbers of them. God’s action on Israel’s behalf shows that He has power over people who oppose us.
As the Amorites tried to escape, the Lord pitched a “hailstorm from heaven” in their direction. “The hail killed more of the enemy than the Israelites killed with the sword” (v.11), proving that God can change the weather in a moment. Every raindrop, ocean wave, and gust of wind responds to His command. Not only does God rule the earth and its climate, but His power extends throughout the universe as well. As Israel continued to obliterate the opposing forces, the nation began to run out of time. God stepped in again and answered Joshua’s request for more daylight (v.12). “So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place” (v.13).
Remembering God’s sovereign power can free us from “playing god” in our own lives. We don’t need to mold every circumstance for our greatest gain. We can loosen our grip on the people we live with. We can be still, and know that He is God (Psalms 46:10).
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How does God’s sovereignty affect your understanding of His will for your life? How do the mightiest forces of nature illustrate or point to God’s power?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more