Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
As time ticked away at Hull City's beautiful KC Stadium in the UK, an appreciative and raucous crowd stood in anxious anticipation. At game's end, hundreds of fans scurried onto the field to celebrate. Their beloved Tigers had just gone toe-to-toe with legendary Manchester United and . . . lost?
The TV commentator explained, "Hull City may have lost this battle, but they've won the relegation war." By losing "only" 0-1, Hull avoided relegation from England's vaunted Premiership and the dreaded banishment to an inferior league.
Clearly, not all losses are created equal. The greatest loss of all time occurred when Jesus was crucified. He had come to live on this earth. He walked among us, ate our food, breathed our air, healed our sick, and offered eternal life to any who would accept it. What did He get for His trouble? The religious leaders of His day conspired to put Him to death.
Yet Jesus didn't lose; He won! When Bono sings in Sunday Bloody Sunday, "to claim the victory Jesus won," he's singing about this victory. Jesus went willingly to the cross as a sacrificial Lamb to pay the price for our sins and to defeat sin and death. He who had never sinned became "the offering for our sin," says 2 Corinthians 5:21. And the very next portion of Scripture makes this crucially important appeal: "We beg you not to accept this marvelous gift of God's kindness and then ignore it. For God says, â€˜At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you' " (6:1-2).
Because of Christ's victory, we aren't relegated to live a dreary life of addiction to our sins, waiting for life's final whistle. Jesus conquered death. In Him, ultimate and overwhelming victory is ours (Romans 8:37). His loss became His greatest victory, and demands our praise and celebration of Him. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more