Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Have you ever noticed how people tend to like firefighters more than police officers? Every day, these brave souls are willing to face the flames and put their lives on the line for us, and they don't issue speeding tickets or take us to jail.
Police officers in Joseph Wambaugh's novels often say something like this to each other: "Well, if you really wanted people to like you, you should have been a fireman." While we definitely want the police to be present if someone's threatening our well-being, we don't always appreciate seeing their flashing lights in our rearview mirror.
In a similar way, following Jesus doesn't always draw the admiration of others. While He doesn't call us to be the world's moral police force, part of the path that Jesus summons us to walk will cause others to dislike us.
The New Testament warns us, "Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution" (2 Timothy 3:12). As His followers, we will suffer for advancing His kingdom. In fact, some of the very people we are trying to rescue from the kingdom of darkness and invite into the kingdom of light will despise us.
If you find yourself taking a lot of grief for your Christian beliefs, you're in good company. Jesus emphasized to His disciples, "If the world hates you, remember that it hated Me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you. . . . Since they persecuted Me, naturally they will persecute you" (John 15:18-20).
Following Jesus may not make you popular, but suffering for His sake is a part of the blessing of becoming more like Him (Philippians 3:10). , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more