DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Peter 3:13
If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to
explain it (v.15).
In an interview, pop music star Katy Perry stated that
she wasn’t thrilled with her strict religious upbringing.
“I didn’t have a childhood,” she lamented. “I’ve
always been the kid who’s asked ‘Why?’ In my faith,
you’re just supposed to have faith. But I was always like
. . . why? At this point, I’m just kind of a drifter . . . open
Not having been there, I can’t comment on Katy’s
upbringing and what she didn’t like about it. But her
words are telling: In my faith you’re just supposed to
have faith. To that, I pose a Katy-like question: Why? For
faith simply in faith is an empty pursuit. But faith in Jesus
is something real and life-changing.
Here’s why: To have faith in faith leads to trusting in
something that lacks substance. It’s like clinging to a
climbing rope for safety, but then discovering that it’s
simply falling to the ground—not tied above or anchored
below. True Christian faith, however, is confidently
believing in Someone—Jesus.
The apostle Peter told his readers, who were suffering
for their faith, to “always be ready to explain” their
“Christian hope” (1 Peter 1:15). He had walked with
Jesus, watched Him perform miracles, witnessed His
death on a cross for his sins, and spent time with Him
after He rose again from the grave. Peter possessed a
rational, reasoned belief.
That belief—that faith—is what we can possess. Not grasping for an
unsecured rope, we firmly hold on to the One who has shown Himself to be
trustworthy and true. We believe, as Peter wrote, that “Christ suffered for our sins
once for all time. He never sinned, but He died for sinners to bring [us] safely
home to God” (v.18). Now that’s Someone to have faith in!
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more