Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
1 Peter 3:13
If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to
explain it (v.15).
In an interview, pop music star Katy Perry stated that
she wasn’t thrilled with her strict religious upbringing.
“I didn’t have a childhood,” she lamented. “I’ve
always been the kid who’s asked ‘Why?’ In my faith,
you’re just supposed to have faith. But I was always like
. . . why? At this point, I’m just kind of a drifter . . . open
Not having been there, I can’t comment on Katy’s
upbringing and what she didn’t like about it. But her
words are telling: In my faith you’re just supposed to
have faith. To that, I pose a Katy-like question: Why? For
faith simply in faith is an empty pursuit. But faith in Jesus
is something real and life-changing.
Here’s why: To have faith in faith leads to trusting in
something that lacks substance. It’s like clinging to a
climbing rope for safety, but then discovering that it’s
simply falling to the ground—not tied above or anchored
below. True Christian faith, however, is confidently
believing in Someone—Jesus.
The apostle Peter told his readers, who were suffering
for their faith, to “always be ready to explain” their
“Christian hope” (1 Peter 1:15). He had walked with
Jesus, watched Him perform miracles, witnessed His
death on a cross for his sins, and spent time with Him
after He rose again from the grave. Peter possessed a
rational, reasoned belief.
That belief—that faith—is what we can possess. Not grasping for an
unsecured rope, we firmly hold on to the One who has shown Himself to be
trustworthy and true. We believe, as Peter wrote, that “Christ suffered for our sins
once for all time. He never sinned, but He died for sinners to bring [us] safely
home to God” (v.18). Now that’s Someone to have faith in!
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more