Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Peter 3:13
If someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to
explain it (v.15).
In an interview, pop music star Katy Perry stated that
she wasn’t thrilled with her strict religious upbringing.
“I didn’t have a childhood,” she lamented. “I’ve
always been the kid who’s asked ‘Why?’ In my faith,
you’re just supposed to have faith. But I was always like
. . . why? At this point, I’m just kind of a drifter . . . open
Not having been there, I can’t comment on Katy’s
upbringing and what she didn’t like about it. But her
words are telling: In my faith you’re just supposed to
have faith. To that, I pose a Katy-like question: Why? For
faith simply in faith is an empty pursuit. But faith in Jesus
is something real and life-changing.
Here’s why: To have faith in faith leads to trusting in
something that lacks substance. It’s like clinging to a
climbing rope for safety, but then discovering that it’s
simply falling to the ground—not tied above or anchored
below. True Christian faith, however, is confidently
believing in Someone—Jesus.
The apostle Peter told his readers, who were suffering
for their faith, to “always be ready to explain” their
“Christian hope” (1 Peter 1:15). He had walked with
Jesus, watched Him perform miracles, witnessed His
death on a cross for his sins, and spent time with Him
after He rose again from the grave. Peter possessed a
rational, reasoned belief.
That belief—that faith—is what we can possess. Not grasping for an
unsecured rope, we firmly hold on to the One who has shown Himself to be
trustworthy and true. We believe, as Peter wrote, that “Christ suffered for our sins
once for all time. He never sinned, but He died for sinners to bring [us] safely
home to God” (v.18). Now that’s Someone to have faith in!
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more