God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saving Little Ones
In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father’s will that even one of these little ones should perish (v.14).
“Jenny” grew up in a home where both parents engaged in extramarital affairs and were prone to violence. In this setting, Jenny soon became emotionally and physically neglected—and vulnerable to others.
An uncle took her to a park and sexually abused her. Jenny experienced a similar fate at the hands of a visiting insurance salesman and from her mother’s boyfriend. By the age of 8, one of Jenny’s brothers was also abusing her. As a result of these experiences, Jenny developed the idea that people would love her only if she was sexually available. You can imagine what this led to during her teenage years. By the time Jenny reached her 30s, she was on her second marriage, prone to affairs herself, and desperate for acceptance.
Jesus loved children (Matthew 18:10) and reserved some of His harshest words for those who abused them and led them into sin. Of this, He said, “It would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea” (18:6). One shudders to think of the fate on judgment day of Jenny’s uncle, brother, mother’s boyfriend, and that insurance salesman.
Thankfully, God deeply desires to save damaged “little ones”—as well as those who have hurt them. Jesus likened Himself to a shepherd who searches for and rejoices when He finds even one stray sheep (vv.12-14). Jenny’s life and lifestyle changed when she came to understand the depth of His love. If the Father loved her that much, she didn’t need to seek approval from others in illicit ways.
Some of Jenny’s abusers may have been acting out of their own childhood abuse. But whatever the case, God continues to seek and save lost “little ones”—no matter how old they are.
How does this teaching help you understand the reasons for some promiscuous behavior? Why is it so vital that you understand God’s love for you?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more