Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saving Little Ones
In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father’s will that even one of these little ones should perish (v.14).
“Jenny” grew up in a home where both parents engaged in extramarital affairs and were prone to violence. In this setting, Jenny soon became emotionally and physically neglected—and vulnerable to others.
An uncle took her to a park and sexually abused her. Jenny experienced a similar fate at the hands of a visiting insurance salesman and from her mother’s boyfriend. By the age of 8, one of Jenny’s brothers was also abusing her. As a result of these experiences, Jenny developed the idea that people would love her only if she was sexually available. You can imagine what this led to during her teenage years. By the time Jenny reached her 30s, she was on her second marriage, prone to affairs herself, and desperate for acceptance.
Jesus loved children (Matthew 18:10) and reserved some of His harshest words for those who abused them and led them into sin. Of this, He said, “It would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea” (18:6). One shudders to think of the fate on judgment day of Jenny’s uncle, brother, mother’s boyfriend, and that insurance salesman.
Thankfully, God deeply desires to save damaged “little ones”—as well as those who have hurt them. Jesus likened Himself to a shepherd who searches for and rejoices when He finds even one stray sheep (vv.12-14). Jenny’s life and lifestyle changed when she came to understand the depth of His love. If the Father loved her that much, she didn’t need to seek approval from others in illicit ways.
Some of Jenny’s abusers may have been acting out of their own childhood abuse. But whatever the case, God continues to seek and save lost “little ones”—no matter how old they are.
How does this teaching help you understand the reasons for some promiscuous behavior? Why is it so vital that you understand God’s love for you?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more