The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
Saving Little Ones
In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father’s will that even one of these little ones should perish (v.14).
“Jenny” grew up in a home where both parents engaged in extramarital affairs and were prone to violence. In this setting, Jenny soon became emotionally and physically neglected—and vulnerable to others.
An uncle took her to a park and sexually abused her. Jenny experienced a similar fate at the hands of a visiting insurance salesman and from her mother’s boyfriend. By the age of 8, one of Jenny’s brothers was also abusing her. As a result of these experiences, Jenny developed the idea that people would love her only if she was sexually available. You can imagine what this led to during her teenage years. By the time Jenny reached her 30s, she was on her second marriage, prone to affairs herself, and desperate for acceptance.
Jesus loved children (Matthew 18:10) and reserved some of His harshest words for those who abused them and led them into sin. Of this, He said, “It would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea” (18:6). One shudders to think of the fate on judgment day of Jenny’s uncle, brother, mother’s boyfriend, and that insurance salesman.
Thankfully, God deeply desires to save damaged “little ones”—as well as those who have hurt them. Jesus likened Himself to a shepherd who searches for and rejoices when He finds even one stray sheep (vv.12-14). Jenny’s life and lifestyle changed when she came to understand the depth of His love. If the Father loved her that much, she didn’t need to seek approval from others in illicit ways.
Some of Jenny’s abusers may have been acting out of their own childhood abuse. But whatever the case, God continues to seek and save lost “little ones”—no matter how old they are.
How does this teaching help you understand the reasons for some promiscuous behavior? Why is it so vital that you understand God’s love for you?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more