Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
I have not stopped thanking God for you. I pray for you constantly (v.16).
What personal prayers for yourself have you lifted up lately? Did you ask God for provision of needs, delivery from temptation, or forgiveness of sin? Paul’s prayer in Ephesians 1:15 offers us some good prayer points.
First, Paul prayed that the church at Ephesus would have “spiritual wisdom and insight.” Why? So that they might “grow in [their] knowledge of God” (v.17).
Second, he prayed that the eyes of their heart would be enlightened so that they could know three things: (1) the hope to which He has called them, (2) the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and (3) His incomparable great power for those who believe (vv.18-19).
Wow! What a rich prayer! Let’s try to unpack its treasure.
You see, wisdom and insight might help us know about God, but only spiritual wisdom and insight (perception given by the Holy Spirit) will develop an exact, complete, experiential knowledge of God. For “no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit” (1 Corinthians 1:11). Warren Wiersbe wrote, “To know God personally is salvation. To know Him increasingly is sanctification. To know Him perfectly is glorification.” We need to know Him more and more!
As we look at the second part of Paul’s prayer, I’m reminded that Paul was once a Pharisee who knew the Scriptures by heart. But at that time, he didn’t see Christ in the Scriptures. It was only after God opened the eyes of his heart that he began to appreciate the hope God gave us through salvation, the love God revealed in claiming us as His inheritance, and the power of God that is at work in all believers.
Therefore, let us confidently approach “the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Ephesians 1:17) and grow in Him.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 1 John 5:14 to see the confidence we can have when we pray according to God’s will.
What do you usually pray about? How can you make your spiritual growth a constant prayer item? As you examine your walk with God, for what should you ask and thank Him?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more