The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
Warn those who are lazy
(1 Thessalonians 5:14).
Think back to a time when you were part of a team
through school, church, business, volunteer work, or
sports. With that experience fresh in your mind, answer
the following: What was your team’s primary goal? Prepare
a class presentation? Share the gospel with 500 people?
Increase sales by 25 percent in three districts? Win a state
or national championship? Did your team meet its goals?
Why did your group effort succeed or fail? Who worked
the hardest on your team? Did anyone fail to put forth the
effort needed to achieve the desired results?
On almost every team, there’s a standout performer, the
one who works tirelessly and who diligently makes “use of
everything they find.” There’s also often a person who’s rich
with talent, but who’s lazy and poor at execution; the type
of person who doesn’t “even cook the game they catch”
People who fail to make the most of opportunities or
to follow through with their responsibilities hurt not only
themselves, but also their teammates. God’s Word has
much to say about the value of work. For example:
• “Lazy people want much but get little, but those
who work hard will prosper” (13:4).
• “Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity,
but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty” (21:5).
• Be happy in [your] work. That is why we are here!”
• “Enjoy your work . . . this is indeed a gift from God” (5:19).
• “Those who work [hard] deserve their pay” (Luke 10:7).
Jesus also said, “Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to
eternal life” (John 6:27 NIV). Make it your goal to complete what God calls you
to do, keeping in mind that no work “you do for the Lord is ever useless”
(1 Corinthians 15:58). —Roxanne Robbins
Read Acts 20:24 to see
the work God assigned
to Paul. Consider how
this is your work as well.
What is something God
is calling you to do?
How are you putting
forth the required work to
Are Natural Disasters a Sign of God's Judgment?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more