Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
You can keep your overnight bag!" Frustrated that she had missed her flight, the irate woman tossed the proffered package at the customer service agent and marched away. The rest of us who were in line watched the employee shrug his shoulders and shake his head with disinterest. Left to appease customers for decisions that had not been his, he had obviously seen many like her. Detachment had become his way of handling the anger and insults.
Though rarely a productive option, the opportunity to get mad presents itself daily, misunderstandings, unrealized goals, hurt feelings. The temptation to get angry can come from something as superficial as another car cutting us off as we drive down the road or to the deep wounding of someone walking out of our lives. But we were not created to walk in wrath. While we know that Jesus experienced anger (Mark 3:5, 10:14), Ephesians 4:26-27 tells us, "Don't sin by letting anger control you. Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil." Most often, the wrath we experience is not a righteous indignation but an overflow of our self-centered sin nature.
While Jonah was angry that he had lost his shade, he was also mad that God didn't destroy the people of Nineveh. Rather than being concerned for this nation that would be lost if they didn't hear and receive God's message, Jonah chose to be bitter over His compassion for them.
Jesus taught us to live in such a way that others would see the light of truth (Matthew 5:16). People have difficulty seeing the love of Jesus in us, however, when they're too busy picking shrapnel from our angry explosions out of their eyes (James 1:19-20). , Regina Franklin, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more