Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
[The king] shouts with joy. . . for you have given him his heart’s desire
My high school trigonometry book was the size
and heft of two bricks placed side-by-side. I can
still see its cover—cherry red with black
lettering. I probably damaged my posture by hunching
over that textbook for hours at a time—reviewing
concepts late into the night. Still, I struggled to understand
trigonometry’s sliced-up circles, cosines, and square roots.
Spiritually speaking, there’s another concept I find
difficult to grasp: joy. My Bible dictionary says that joy is
a quality—not just an emotion—derived from God, which
characterizes a Christian’s life. Nice definition, but we need
to know how to apply this information.
David experienced joy as he praised God for His
blessings. The shepherd boy turned king “shout[ed] with
joy” (Psalm 21:1) because God had granted him His heart’s
desire. David’s blessings included success, prosperity,
rescue from death, a leadership position, long life, and
access to God’s unfailing love (vv.3-7). David rejoiced in the
success and victory that God had given him—success that
came about because he trusted in God (v.7).
Maybe you’re thinking, Of course David was joyful—
look at everything God furnished for him! Israel’s king,
however, also endured intense heartache, defeat, and fear.
David failed at fatherhood (1 Kings 1:6), fled from assassins
(1 Samuel 1:18), messed up morally (2 Samuel 11:2),
and lost an infant (2 Samuel 2:19). Through it all, his relationship
with God enabled him to have joy. He testified, “Those who
look to [God] for help will be radiant with joy” (Psalms 34:5).
God provides many other sources of joy for believers: His presence (Psalms 21:6),
forgiveness for sin (Psalms 32:1), His Word (Jeremiah 15:16), and answered prayer (John 16:24). These features of our faith allow us to learn about joy during difficulty, as
well as during life’s mountaintop moments.
What impact might a joyful attitude have on both believers and
unbelievers in your life? What are some creative ways to express joy?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more