Coram Deo How will you focus on the face of God today?
Top Music Videos
[The king] shouts with joy. . . for you have given him his heart’s desire
My high school trigonometry book was the size
and heft of two bricks placed side-by-side. I can
still see its cover—cherry red with black
lettering. I probably damaged my posture by hunching
over that textbook for hours at a time—reviewing
concepts late into the night. Still, I struggled to understand
trigonometry’s sliced-up circles, cosines, and square roots.
Spiritually speaking, there’s another concept I find
difficult to grasp: joy. My Bible dictionary says that joy is
a quality—not just an emotion—derived from God, which
characterizes a Christian’s life. Nice definition, but we need
to know how to apply this information.
David experienced joy as he praised God for His
blessings. The shepherd boy turned king “shout[ed] with
joy” (Psalm 21:1) because God had granted him His heart’s
desire. David’s blessings included success, prosperity,
rescue from death, a leadership position, long life, and
access to God’s unfailing love (vv.3-7). David rejoiced in the
success and victory that God had given him—success that
came about because he trusted in God (v.7).
Maybe you’re thinking, Of course David was joyful—
look at everything God furnished for him! Israel’s king,
however, also endured intense heartache, defeat, and fear.
David failed at fatherhood (1 Kings 1:6), fled from assassins
(1 Samuel 1:18), messed up morally (2 Samuel 11:2),
and lost an infant (2 Samuel 2:19). Through it all, his relationship
with God enabled him to have joy. He testified, “Those who
look to [God] for help will be radiant with joy” (Psalms 34:5).
God provides many other sources of joy for believers: His presence (Psalms 21:6),
forgiveness for sin (Psalms 32:1), His Word (Jeremiah 15:16), and answered prayer (John 16:24). These features of our faith allow us to learn about joy during difficulty, as
well as during life’s mountaintop moments.
What impact might a joyful attitude have on both believers and
unbelievers in your life? What are some creative ways to express joy?
- Coram Deo - How will you focus on the face of God today?...read more
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more