What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Worn Out by Money
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit (Proverbs 23:4).
The Internet is crawling with get-rich-quick schemes— ads that promise loads of cash with little effort and/ or skills required. Simply apply the special techniques offered in their training material, and it won’t be long before you’re independently wealthy—or so they say. And you can do it all from the comfort and convenience of your home! Hmm . . .
The curious, desperate, and the naïve are the ones who typically fall prey to such outlandish offers. The wary, however, can see right through scams. They know that there’s no such thing as “easy money.” But even they, if they’re not careful, can fall into the trap of wearing themselves out by chasing long and hard after wealth.
The book of Proverbs states, “Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle” (Proverbs 23:4).
Whatever approach we take to earning money, the apostle Paul warned, “People who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction” (1 Timothy 1:9). Paul goes on to note that some who “love” money “have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows” (v.10). This parallels what Jesus taught in the parable of the sower—that the lure and deceitfulness of wealth makes us unfruitful for God’s kingdom (Matthew 13:22).
It’s true that we must earn money to pay for the basic necessities of life. Cash can also be used to help the needy and bring a little bit of heaven to earth and the “least of these” (25:40). But a love affair with getting rich will only wear us out and ruin our testimony for Jesus.
Note what King Solomon wrote about those who “love money” (Ecclesiastes 5:10).
What is your biggest struggle with money? How can you use it for Jesus’ glory instead of your own desires and ambitions?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more