Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
Jesus Among The Idols
Then He asked them, “But who do you say I am?” (v.29).
According to anthropologists, worship is found in
every culture. Deep within us lies an impulse to
offer ourselves to someone or something that will
give us meaning, security, and identity.
The Golan Heights, a region between modern-day
Israel and Syria, is an area rich in worship history. More
than a dozen temples dedicated to the Old Testament
fertility god Baal have been uncovered there. A nearby
cave is said to be the birthplace of the Greek hunting
god Pan. Herod the Great built a temple to Caesar
there (from whom the earlier name Caesarea Philippi
Jesus and His disciples were walking through this
region one day when Jesus stopped and asked this
question: “Who do people say that the Son of Man
is?” (Matthew 16:13). They gave Him the public’s best
guess—that He was one of the ancient prophets returned
from the dead (Mark 8:28). “But who do you say I
am?” Jesus probed. “You are the Messiah,” Peter replied
(v.29), “the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16).
What a significant place for the identity of Jesus to be
revealed! As the words echoed off the pagan altars
around them, the disciples knew that here stood One
greater than Baal, Pan, or Caesar.
Most people today don’t worship emperors. But
the worship of physical idols continues as well as our
veneration of movie stars, professional athletes, and
high-achieving colleagues, or through our worship
of work, physical exercise, hobbies, or romantic
Jesus walks among our modern idols and altars and calls for our sole
allegiance. Will we bow? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Matthew 16:13
and pay particular
attention to the new name
Jesus gave Peter in verse
18. When Jesus becomes
our focus, we discover our
own identity as well.
Which idol do you
wrestle with, and why
is it so attractive to you?
How will you give up
your idol for Jesus?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more