Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus Among The Idols
Then He asked them, “But who do you say I am?” (v.29).
According to anthropologists, worship is found in
every culture. Deep within us lies an impulse to
offer ourselves to someone or something that will
give us meaning, security, and identity.
The Golan Heights, a region between modern-day
Israel and Syria, is an area rich in worship history. More
than a dozen temples dedicated to the Old Testament
fertility god Baal have been uncovered there. A nearby
cave is said to be the birthplace of the Greek hunting
god Pan. Herod the Great built a temple to Caesar
there (from whom the earlier name Caesarea Philippi
Jesus and His disciples were walking through this
region one day when Jesus stopped and asked this
question: “Who do people say that the Son of Man
is?” (Matthew 16:13). They gave Him the public’s best
guess—that He was one of the ancient prophets returned
from the dead (Mark 8:28). “But who do you say I
am?” Jesus probed. “You are the Messiah,” Peter replied
(v.29), “the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16).
What a significant place for the identity of Jesus to be
revealed! As the words echoed off the pagan altars
around them, the disciples knew that here stood One
greater than Baal, Pan, or Caesar.
Most people today don’t worship emperors. But
the worship of physical idols continues as well as our
veneration of movie stars, professional athletes, and
high-achieving colleagues, or through our worship
of work, physical exercise, hobbies, or romantic
Jesus walks among our modern idols and altars and calls for our sole
allegiance. Will we bow? —Sheridan Voysey
Read Matthew 16:13
and pay particular
attention to the new name
Jesus gave Peter in verse
18. When Jesus becomes
our focus, we discover our
own identity as well.
Which idol do you
wrestle with, and why
is it so attractive to you?
How will you give up
your idol for Jesus?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more