Beautiful GarbageWhat garbage do you need to bring to Jesus in repentance today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Not Sinless, But . . .
Should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of His wonderful grace? Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? (vv.1-2).
The story is told of a man who found a wallet filled with cash. He was tempted to keep the money for himself. As a Christian, he knew he should return the wallet to its owner. But he began to reason with himself: I’m in need of cash right now. So ‘finders keepers!’ I’ll keep the cash, but I’ll confess my sin and ask God to forgive me. If you were that man, what would you have done? Would you have rationalized your wrong behavior?
Paul once asked a timeless, practical question: “Should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of His wonderful grace?” (Romans 6:1). We can almost hear Paul shouting, “No! Of course not!” (v.2).
And he tells us why.
As non-Christians, we were a slave to sin (vv.6,14,17). We had to sin because we had to do what sin demands (vv.16,20). But when we believed in Jesus as Savior, everything changed. We “died to sin,” so we can’t “continue to live in it” (v.2). Christ’s death broke the power of sin, setting us free from slavery to sin (vv.5-10). It no longer has power over us (v.22). We have a new life (vv.4,13), serving a new Master. We’ve become slaves of God (v.22) and slaves “to righteous living” (v.18). We can now become holy (v.19).
To be holy is a choice. It’s something to be lived out. Say “No” to sin by saying “Yes” to God (vv.12-13). If you sin, it’s because you’ve chosen to obey sin as your master. But to do so is to presume on God’s grace, abusing His mercy and forgiveness (v.1,15).
You are not sinless yet—but as a believer in Jesus you must sin less (1 John 1:6). —K.T. Sim
What did Jesus say about slavery and sonship in John 8:34? What did Jesus mean when He said, “A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever”? (v.35).
How can you become a true “slave of God”? (Romans 6:22). What is a key characteristic of someone who is God’s slave?
- Beautiful Garbage - What garbage do you need to bring to Jesus in repentance today?...read more
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more