Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord! Praise the Lord! (Psalm 150:6).
Bwana asifiwe!” is Swahili for Praise the Lord! As I traveled from the dry place of Tala to the slums of Kawangare to the densely populated and dangerous ghetto of Korogocho in Kenya, this is the way every believer greeted me.
Living under the constant pitch of despondency, Bwana asifiwe? Surrounded by the dark shadows of squalor, poverty, and destitution, Bwana asifiwe? Living in the ubiquitous presence of systemic evil and limited options to escape it, Bwana asifiwe? I wondered, how could they praise God in such uninspiring and unfavorable conditions?
I received my answer while sitting in a worship service at Redeemed Gospel Church in Korogocho. In their worshipful dancing, exuberant singing, and sacrificial giving, these brothers and sisters reminded me that many times praising the Lord must happen from a place of obedience—not circumstance.
In Scripture, God’s people are commanded to offer Him praise. All people to whom God gave breath were to use it to praise Him (Psalm 150:6). Obedience to this command to praise the Lord was a recognition that God, despite circumstances and conditions, was worthy of His people’s praise (Deuteronomy 10:21) and that He would not share His glory and praise with another (Isaiah 42:8).
Obedience to the command to praise God was an act of declaring His nature, praising His goodness (Psalm 135:3), ascribing to Him greatness (Psalm 104:1), telling of His righteousness (Psalm 98:8-9), singing of His faithfulness (Psalm 89:1), and giving thanks for His strength (Psalm 59:16) and salvation (Psalm 18:46, 95:1).
God alone deserves our praise. We praise Him from a place of obedience and recognition of His goodness. When we trust that God is good and He works positively for good even in unfavorable circumstances, we too—from a place of obedience—can say, “Bwana asifiwe!”
Read Acts 16:16-34 and see how two believers praised the Lord in unfavorable circumstances.
When have you praised God out of obedience and not due to circumstances? Spend a few minutes praising the Lord right now.
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more