Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord! Praise the Lord! (Psalm 150:6).
Bwana asifiwe!” is Swahili for Praise the Lord! As I traveled from the dry place of Tala to the slums of Kawangare to the densely populated and dangerous ghetto of Korogocho in Kenya, this is the way every believer greeted me.
Living under the constant pitch of despondency, Bwana asifiwe? Surrounded by the dark shadows of squalor, poverty, and destitution, Bwana asifiwe? Living in the ubiquitous presence of systemic evil and limited options to escape it, Bwana asifiwe? I wondered, how could they praise God in such uninspiring and unfavorable conditions?
I received my answer while sitting in a worship service at Redeemed Gospel Church in Korogocho. In their worshipful dancing, exuberant singing, and sacrificial giving, these brothers and sisters reminded me that many times praising the Lord must happen from a place of obedience—not circumstance.
In Scripture, God’s people are commanded to offer Him praise. All people to whom God gave breath were to use it to praise Him (Psalm 150:6). Obedience to this command to praise the Lord was a recognition that God, despite circumstances and conditions, was worthy of His people’s praise (Deuteronomy 10:21) and that He would not share His glory and praise with another (Isaiah 42:8).
Obedience to the command to praise God was an act of declaring His nature, praising His goodness (Psalm 135:3), ascribing to Him greatness (Psalm 104:1), telling of His righteousness (Psalm 98:8-9), singing of His faithfulness (Psalm 89:1), and giving thanks for His strength (Psalm 59:16) and salvation (Psalm 18:46, 95:1).
God alone deserves our praise. We praise Him from a place of obedience and recognition of His goodness. When we trust that God is good and He works positively for good even in unfavorable circumstances, we too—from a place of obedience—can say, “Bwana asifiwe!”
Read Acts 16:16-34 and see how two believers praised the Lord in unfavorable circumstances.
When have you praised God out of obedience and not due to circumstances? Spend a few minutes praising the Lord right now.
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more