Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will teach you hidden lessons from our past— stories we have heard and known, stories our ancestors handed down to us (Psalm 78:2-3).
I’ve always needed to be reminded of things, but lately the problem has reached critical mass. A bicycling accident left me with a temporary black eye and not-so-temporary short-term memory loss.
Recently, my daughter found a hot iron plugged in long after I had left the house. On another occasion, the sink overflowed when I forgot I was doing the dishes. I constantly forget where I park my car, or the fact that I didn’t drive my car at all that day, and that’s why I can’t find it.
Some days I forget entire conversations that others tell me I was a part of. (Admittedly, this does have an upside.) The problem has underscored my need to create coping mechanisms, such as making extensive lists. Of course, then I forget where I left my notebook.
Faulty memory is a part of life in this fallen world. “People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed,” declared noted 18th-century English author Samuel Johnson. I see a distinct spiritual application in Dr. Johnson’s wisdom.
God knows all about our inherent memory problems, and so He gave us a good corrective—the Bible. One book in particular emphasizes the need to remember. It’s the book of Deuteronomy, which has a definition that includes “repetition of the law.” In Moses’ farewell address to the people he had led for 40 years, he often used the words “remember” and “don’t forget” (Deuteronomy 8:2,11,15,18). He knew the people were aware of the law. And he knew they would forget it. So before he died, Moses reemphasized God’s goodness and the wisdom in His commands.
We’re prone to the same forgetfulness as the ancient Israelites were. Reading God’s Word frequently, asking for His help, and learning from wise counselors aren’t mere coping mechanisms. They’re the way to thrive.
What reminds you of God’s faithfulness? What devices, habits, or rituals could you use to keep His commands in mind?
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more