Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will teach you hidden lessons from our past— stories we have heard and known, stories our ancestors handed down to us (Psalm 78:2-3).
I’ve always needed to be reminded of things, but lately the problem has reached critical mass. A bicycling accident left me with a temporary black eye and not-so-temporary short-term memory loss.
Recently, my daughter found a hot iron plugged in long after I had left the house. On another occasion, the sink overflowed when I forgot I was doing the dishes. I constantly forget where I park my car, or the fact that I didn’t drive my car at all that day, and that’s why I can’t find it.
Some days I forget entire conversations that others tell me I was a part of. (Admittedly, this does have an upside.) The problem has underscored my need to create coping mechanisms, such as making extensive lists. Of course, then I forget where I left my notebook.
Faulty memory is a part of life in this fallen world. “People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed,” declared noted 18th-century English author Samuel Johnson. I see a distinct spiritual application in Dr. Johnson’s wisdom.
God knows all about our inherent memory problems, and so He gave us a good corrective—the Bible. One book in particular emphasizes the need to remember. It’s the book of Deuteronomy, which has a definition that includes “repetition of the law.” In Moses’ farewell address to the people he had led for 40 years, he often used the words “remember” and “don’t forget” (Deuteronomy 8:2,11,15,18). He knew the people were aware of the law. And he knew they would forget it. So before he died, Moses reemphasized God’s goodness and the wisdom in His commands.
We’re prone to the same forgetfulness as the ancient Israelites were. Reading God’s Word frequently, asking for His help, and learning from wise counselors aren’t mere coping mechanisms. They’re the way to thrive.
What reminds you of God’s faithfulness? What devices, habits, or rituals could you use to keep His commands in mind?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more