Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will teach you hidden lessons from our past— stories we have heard and known, stories our ancestors handed down to us (Psalm 78:2-3).
I’ve always needed to be reminded of things, but lately the problem has reached critical mass. A bicycling accident left me with a temporary black eye and not-so-temporary short-term memory loss.
Recently, my daughter found a hot iron plugged in long after I had left the house. On another occasion, the sink overflowed when I forgot I was doing the dishes. I constantly forget where I park my car, or the fact that I didn’t drive my car at all that day, and that’s why I can’t find it.
Some days I forget entire conversations that others tell me I was a part of. (Admittedly, this does have an upside.) The problem has underscored my need to create coping mechanisms, such as making extensive lists. Of course, then I forget where I left my notebook.
Faulty memory is a part of life in this fallen world. “People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed,” declared noted 18th-century English author Samuel Johnson. I see a distinct spiritual application in Dr. Johnson’s wisdom.
God knows all about our inherent memory problems, and so He gave us a good corrective—the Bible. One book in particular emphasizes the need to remember. It’s the book of Deuteronomy, which has a definition that includes “repetition of the law.” In Moses’ farewell address to the people he had led for 40 years, he often used the words “remember” and “don’t forget” (Deuteronomy 8:2,11,15,18). He knew the people were aware of the law. And he knew they would forget it. So before he died, Moses reemphasized God’s goodness and the wisdom in His commands.
We’re prone to the same forgetfulness as the ancient Israelites were. Reading God’s Word frequently, asking for His help, and learning from wise counselors aren’t mere coping mechanisms. They’re the way to thrive.
What reminds you of God’s faithfulness? What devices, habits, or rituals could you use to keep His commands in mind?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more