Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will teach you hidden lessons from our past— stories we have heard and known, stories our ancestors handed down to us (Psalm 78:2-3).
I’ve always needed to be reminded of things, but lately the problem has reached critical mass. A bicycling accident left me with a temporary black eye and not-so-temporary short-term memory loss.
Recently, my daughter found a hot iron plugged in long after I had left the house. On another occasion, the sink overflowed when I forgot I was doing the dishes. I constantly forget where I park my car, or the fact that I didn’t drive my car at all that day, and that’s why I can’t find it.
Some days I forget entire conversations that others tell me I was a part of. (Admittedly, this does have an upside.) The problem has underscored my need to create coping mechanisms, such as making extensive lists. Of course, then I forget where I left my notebook.
Faulty memory is a part of life in this fallen world. “People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed,” declared noted 18th-century English author Samuel Johnson. I see a distinct spiritual application in Dr. Johnson’s wisdom.
God knows all about our inherent memory problems, and so He gave us a good corrective—the Bible. One book in particular emphasizes the need to remember. It’s the book of Deuteronomy, which has a definition that includes “repetition of the law.” In Moses’ farewell address to the people he had led for 40 years, he often used the words “remember” and “don’t forget” (Deuteronomy 8:2,11,15,18). He knew the people were aware of the law. And he knew they would forget it. So before he died, Moses reemphasized God’s goodness and the wisdom in His commands.
We’re prone to the same forgetfulness as the ancient Israelites were. Reading God’s Word frequently, asking for His help, and learning from wise counselors aren’t mere coping mechanisms. They’re the way to thrive.
What reminds you of God’s faithfulness? What devices, habits, or rituals could you use to keep His commands in mind?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more