Top Christian Music Videos
Love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you (v.27).
Julio Diaz stepped off the late-night subway en route
to his favorite diner when a knife-wielding teen
demanded his wallet. Diaz handed the wallet over;
but as the mugger began to walk away, Diaz stopped
him. “If you’re going to be robbing people for the rest of
the night,” Diaz said, “you might as well take my coat to
keep you warm.” He handed the boy his jacket and then
invited the bewildered mugger to join him for dinner.
Before the evening ended, Diaz again had his wallet,
as well as the boy’s knife, but not before sending the
mugger away with $20.
I wonder if Diaz had Jesus’ words in mind: “If someone
demands your coat, offer your shirt also” (Luke 6:29)?
Diaz’s story is striking because it stands at odds with
our prevailing culture. We learn early to watch out for
ourselves, not let others take advantage of us, and to
make sure we always get what we need first. Jesus and
the gospel, however, teach us an entirely different way—
the way of radical love.
For Jesus, love is an act that flies in the face of
conventional wisdom and common sense. Rather than
strike back at those who harm us, we’re to treat them
with generosity and kindness. What could be more
unconventional than receiving someone’s abuse and not
retaliating? What could be more radical than “[giving]
to anyone who asks” us for assistance or lending money
and resources to our enemies without ever “expecting to
be repaid”? (vv.29-30,35).
With these astonishing examples, Jesus defines love not as a sentimental
emotion but as a sturdy, daring act of selflessness. Love costs. Love hurts. Love
requires courageous obedience. Jesus demonstrated ultimate love on a cross,
the most radical and generous act we will ever know. —Winn Collier
Comb through Luke
6:27-36. Mark the
actions of those opposed
to you (enemies, etc.) and
then mark the way God
calls you to respond.
Rather than taking our
cue from our enemies,
who models the posture
we’re to possess? (v.36).
When have you recently
been tempted to strike
back at someone? How is
God challenging you to
show radical love?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more