Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friends in the Fray
Abishai son of Zeruiah came to David’s rescue (2 Samuel 21:17).
Tim Kreider wrote about modern-day busyness in a New York Times opinion column. His piece titled “The ‘Busy’ Trap” included a personal experience in which he contacted a friend about getting together. The friend replied that he was busy but might be persuaded to “ditch work for a few hours” if “something was going on.” Kreider didn’t press for a rendezvous. He described his friend’s busyness as “some vast, churning noise through which he was shouting.”
The busier we become, the harder it is to reach out to people who need our companionship, care, and help. Abishai, an Old Testament warrior (1 Chronicles 11:20), extended himself to help David when “David and his men were in the thick of battle” (2 Samuel 21:15). I can think of few busier, more frenzied scenes in the Old Testament than this clash with the Philistines. It must have been overwhelming, fast-paced, and adrenaline-filled. Kind of like life today (but with clubs and spears!).
During this battle, “David became weak and exhausted” (2 Samuel 21:15), and an enemy named Ishbi-benob had him cornered. This guy was large, armed with a 7-pound spear and a shiny new sword. As he closed in for the kill, “Abishai . . . came to David’s rescue and killed the Philistine” (2 Samuel 21:17). Abishai had a history of loyalty to Israel’s king (2 Samuel 16:9). So it’s no surprise that he chose David’s welfare over his own as the battle raged around them.
Abishai’s actions can inspire us to look past all that is going on around us as we help our comrades. When life gets hectic and demands are assaulting us from every angle, busyness may test our loyalties. Will we be faithful to the things that occupy our time, or to the people who matter the most?
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
How does busyness affect our “friendship” with God? Why should we strive to do more rather than to be more?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more