Another OptionWhat wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?
Top Christian Music Videos
River in the Sand
Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full (v.7).
With our swimsuits on and the sand between our toes, my family and I decided to try a beach experiment. We picked a spot about 20 feet from the shoreline and set to work digging with plastic spades. Our goal was to hollow out a mini riverbed that would extend all the way back down to the sea. After some effort, we tested it by filling buckets with water and then pouring the contents into our man made trench. We cheered as the water snaked down the beach, flowing back to its origin.
As we trudged back to our car I thought about the pointless nature of our sand-excavating exercise. Sure it was fun, but it reminded me of this verse: “Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full” (Ecclesiastes 1:7). This observation is one of several related thoughts—courtesy of King Solomon—on the topic of futility. In fact he began the book of Ecclesiastes by announcing, “Everything is meaningless” (v.2).
Although Solomon concluded something quite different at the end of the book, many people today agree with his initial thoughts. Some believe in a kind of ‘choose your own adventure’ existence where each of us creates meaning within our own lives, with no objective standard to guide us. These people find their ultimate purpose in family life, in work or in devotion to a cause.
While these things produce some fulfillment, they all relate only to life “under the sun” (v.9). As Christians, we know that this life is not all there is, and our purpose here is linked to eternity in another place. Solomon concluded that we should “Fear God and obey His commands” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). This is what gives meaning to our lives. This is what endures beyond the shifting sands of earth.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Where do you find meaning in life? How does a life lived for the here and now look different from a life lived for eternity’s sake?
- Another Option - What wisdom from Scripture can help you in a dilemma?...read more
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more