Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
River in the Sand
Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full (v.7).
With our swimsuits on and the sand between our toes, my family and I decided to try a beach experiment. We picked a spot about 20 feet from the shoreline and set to work digging with plastic spades. Our goal was to hollow out a mini riverbed that would extend all the way back down to the sea. After some effort, we tested it by filling buckets with water and then pouring the contents into our man made trench. We cheered as the water snaked down the beach, flowing back to its origin.
As we trudged back to our car I thought about the pointless nature of our sand-excavating exercise. Sure it was fun, but it reminded me of this verse: “Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full” (Ecclesiastes 1:7). This observation is one of several related thoughts—courtesy of King Solomon—on the topic of futility. In fact he began the book of Ecclesiastes by announcing, “Everything is meaningless” (v.2).
Although Solomon concluded something quite different at the end of the book, many people today agree with his initial thoughts. Some believe in a kind of ‘choose your own adventure’ existence where each of us creates meaning within our own lives, with no objective standard to guide us. These people find their ultimate purpose in family life, in work or in devotion to a cause.
While these things produce some fulfillment, they all relate only to life “under the sun” (v.9). As Christians, we know that this life is not all there is, and our purpose here is linked to eternity in another place. Solomon concluded that we should “Fear God and obey His commands” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). This is what gives meaning to our lives. This is what endures beyond the shifting sands of earth.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Where do you find meaning in life? How does a life lived for the here and now look different from a life lived for eternity’s sake?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more