Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
River in the Sand
Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full (v.7).
With our swimsuits on and the sand between our toes, my family and I decided to try a beach experiment. We picked a spot about 20 feet from the shoreline and set to work digging with plastic spades. Our goal was to hollow out a mini riverbed that would extend all the way back down to the sea. After some effort, we tested it by filling buckets with water and then pouring the contents into our man made trench. We cheered as the water snaked down the beach, flowing back to its origin.
As we trudged back to our car I thought about the pointless nature of our sand-excavating exercise. Sure it was fun, but it reminded me of this verse: “Rivers run into the sea, but the sea is never full” (Ecclesiastes 1:7). This observation is one of several related thoughts—courtesy of King Solomon—on the topic of futility. In fact he began the book of Ecclesiastes by announcing, “Everything is meaningless” (v.2).
Although Solomon concluded something quite different at the end of the book, many people today agree with his initial thoughts. Some believe in a kind of ‘choose your own adventure’ existence where each of us creates meaning within our own lives, with no objective standard to guide us. These people find their ultimate purpose in family life, in work or in devotion to a cause.
While these things produce some fulfillment, they all relate only to life “under the sun” (v.9). As Christians, we know that this life is not all there is, and our purpose here is linked to eternity in another place. Solomon concluded that we should “Fear God and obey His commands” (Ecclesiastes 12:13). This is what gives meaning to our lives. This is what endures beyond the shifting sands of earth.
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Where do you find meaning in life? How does a life lived for the here and now look different from a life lived for eternity’s sake?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more