UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
“What is all the bleating of sheep and goats and the lowing of cattle I hear?” Samuel demanded (v.14).
I was walking through a museum exhibit about the American Civil War when I came across a chilling item. It was a receipt, like what you might get from a shop. But this was for a slave named Sally, who had been received in good health from a slave trader. We’re horrified by the buying and selling of human beings, but these people were so oblivious to the ugliness of their sin that they kept the receipt!
I shook my head in disgust, not only for the despicable thing they had done, but also for the many times we brandish the receipt for our sins. We illegally download music or films, then refuse to delete them from our playlist. We lust after someone who is not our spouse, then replay the moment in our minds. We lose our cool and belittle a coworker, then brag to our friends how we “put him in his place.” Rather than feel embarrassed for our sins, we wave our receipt in the air and say, “See what I did!”
Real repentance eliminates “look at me” moments. It gladly gives up any ‘profit’ from what was gained (1 Samuel 15:13). Saul tried to look honorable when Samuel asked him why he had saved the receipt from his sin. Saul said he “spared the best of the sheep, goats, and cattle” so that he might “sacrifice them to the Lord” (v.15). When Samuel refused to play along, Saul finally admitted, “Yes, I have sinned. I have disobeyed your instructions and the Lord’s command . . . . Please forgive my sin” (vv.24-25).
Saul’s repentance came too late as Samuel replied, “The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today and has given it to someone else” (v.28). It’s not too late for us. Turn from sin and tear up that receipt. —Mike Wittmer
Read Luke 19:1 to learn what true repentance does with the profits of sin.
What sin receipts have you been clutching? What will you do to discard them?
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more