WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Faith in a Box
Abraham replied, “I thought, ‘This is a godless place. They will want my wife and will kill me to get her’ ” (v.11).
Having purchased fire-escape ladders for our two-story home, we decided to take them out of the box and practice using them before the onset of an emergency.
So on a hot summer day our family climbed out of our upstairs windows one at a time. Comical for anyone to watch, the tone of events changed when our daughter felt the ladder moving as she climbed down. Although she had previously climbed a high ropes course, the swaying of the ladder was more palpable to her than the touch of her dad just a few feet below her on the ground. Nothing we said could convince her that she was safe.
We’re not alone in our fear. Whether it’s a fear of heights, a fear of unknown places or a fear of getting hurt in relationships, we all have well-constructed mental and emotional fortresses to keep us safe. Abraham trusted in his ability to control his circumstances by selecting which pieces of information to disclose and which to hide. Interestingly it was his concern that there was “no fear of God in this place” (Genesis 20:11 NASB) that drove him to deceive. Abimelech’s response, however, evidenced an awe of the Lord’s hand (vv.4-8) and proved to be more honorable than Abraham’s (vv.9,16).
But the story doesn’t end there. James 2:23 reminds us that fear did not forever direct Abraham’s path: “And so it happened just as the Scriptures say: ‘Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.’ He was even called the friend of God.”
Abraham came to understand that though circumstances could make him feel as if the ‘ladder of safety’ was swaying beneath him, the arm of his Father was ready and willing to save (Numbers 11:23; Jeremiah 32:17). O that we too may be called faithful.
Read Isaiah 40:1. In this passage, God pledges His comfort and provision to His people. What is our part in this promise?
What is your typical response when you feel that circumstances are spinning out of control? What does God want you to understand about His hand of protection?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more