True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
The Spirit of Truth
When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth (v.13).
May the force be with you.” Those familiar with the Star Wars film saga recognize this famous phrase, given out as a blessing to those embarking on a critical or dangerous mission. The force, as presented in the series, is an impersonal metaphysical characteristic that empowers individuals to undertake and complete their tasks.
“The Holy Spirit will be with you,” Jesus—in essence—told His disciples (John 14:16). It was a promise empowering them to carry out their mission (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8). But the Holy Spirit is not some impersonal cosmic ‘it’ but a ‘He’—a Person, the Third Person of the Triune God. He is “the Spirit of truth” (John 15:26).
Jesus tells of the Spirit’s role. As the Spirit of truth “He will guide you into all truth. . . . [He] will tell you whatever He receives from Me” (vv.13-15). ”He will teach you” (John 14:26).
How does the Spirit carry out His teaching role? First, the Spirit moved men to write down God’s Word (1 Peter 1:11; 2 Peter 1:19). The Bible is accurate, reliable and authoritative truth because it came to us under the inspiration of the Spirit of truth (2 Timothy 2:16).
Second, the Spirit convicts and convinces us of our sinfulness. He reveals that we’re sinners in need of God’s righteousness (John 16:8)—who is Christ crucified, resurrected and exalted (v.10; Acts 2:31).
Third, the Spirit reveals the truth about Jesus, illuminating and helping us to understand the work and words of the Savior more fully (John 14:26).
We worship the God of truth (Isaiah 65:16), believe Jesus is the truth (John 14:6) and are led by the Spirit of truth (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:25). We are people of the Truth (2 John 1:2; 3 John 1:3).
What does it mean for you to be “led by the Spirit”? (Galatians 5:13).
How does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Who is Jesus, and what has He done for you—as revealed by the Spirit?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more