Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Spirit of Truth
When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth (v.13).
May the force be with you.” Those familiar with the Star Wars film saga recognize this famous phrase, given out as a blessing to those embarking on a critical or dangerous mission. The force, as presented in the series, is an impersonal metaphysical characteristic that empowers individuals to undertake and complete their tasks.
“The Holy Spirit will be with you,” Jesus—in essence—told His disciples (John 14:16). It was a promise empowering them to carry out their mission (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8). But the Holy Spirit is not some impersonal cosmic ‘it’ but a ‘He’—a Person, the Third Person of the Triune God. He is “the Spirit of truth” (John 15:26).
Jesus tells of the Spirit’s role. As the Spirit of truth “He will guide you into all truth. . . . [He] will tell you whatever He receives from Me” (vv.13-15). ”He will teach you” (John 14:26).
How does the Spirit carry out His teaching role? First, the Spirit moved men to write down God’s Word (1 Peter 1:11; 2 Peter 1:19). The Bible is accurate, reliable and authoritative truth because it came to us under the inspiration of the Spirit of truth (2 Timothy 2:16).
Second, the Spirit convicts and convinces us of our sinfulness. He reveals that we’re sinners in need of God’s righteousness (John 16:8)—who is Christ crucified, resurrected and exalted (v.10; Acts 2:31).
Third, the Spirit reveals the truth about Jesus, illuminating and helping us to understand the work and words of the Savior more fully (John 14:26).
We worship the God of truth (Isaiah 65:16), believe Jesus is the truth (John 14:6) and are led by the Spirit of truth (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:25). We are people of the Truth (2 John 1:2; 3 John 1:3).
What does it mean for you to be “led by the Spirit”? (Galatians 5:13).
How does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Who is Jesus, and what has He done for you—as revealed by the Spirit?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more