The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Spirit of Truth
When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth (v.13).
May the force be with you.” Those familiar with the Star Wars film saga recognize this famous phrase, given out as a blessing to those embarking on a critical or dangerous mission. The force, as presented in the series, is an impersonal metaphysical characteristic that empowers individuals to undertake and complete their tasks.
“The Holy Spirit will be with you,” Jesus—in essence—told His disciples (John 14:16). It was a promise empowering them to carry out their mission (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8). But the Holy Spirit is not some impersonal cosmic ‘it’ but a ‘He’—a Person, the Third Person of the Triune God. He is “the Spirit of truth” (John 15:26).
Jesus tells of the Spirit’s role. As the Spirit of truth “He will guide you into all truth. . . . [He] will tell you whatever He receives from Me” (vv.13-15). ”He will teach you” (John 14:26).
How does the Spirit carry out His teaching role? First, the Spirit moved men to write down God’s Word (1 Peter 1:11; 2 Peter 1:19). The Bible is accurate, reliable and authoritative truth because it came to us under the inspiration of the Spirit of truth (2 Timothy 2:16).
Second, the Spirit convicts and convinces us of our sinfulness. He reveals that we’re sinners in need of God’s righteousness (John 16:8)—who is Christ crucified, resurrected and exalted (v.10; Acts 2:31).
Third, the Spirit reveals the truth about Jesus, illuminating and helping us to understand the work and words of the Savior more fully (John 14:26).
We worship the God of truth (Isaiah 65:16), believe Jesus is the truth (John 14:6) and are led by the Spirit of truth (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:25). We are people of the Truth (2 John 1:2; 3 John 1:3).
What does it mean for you to be “led by the Spirit”? (Galatians 5:13).
How does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Who is Jesus, and what has He done for you—as revealed by the Spirit?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more