Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
The Spirit of Truth
When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth (v.13).
May the force be with you.” Those familiar with the Star Wars film saga recognize this famous phrase, given out as a blessing to those embarking on a critical or dangerous mission. The force, as presented in the series, is an impersonal metaphysical characteristic that empowers individuals to undertake and complete their tasks.
“The Holy Spirit will be with you,” Jesus—in essence—told His disciples (John 14:16). It was a promise empowering them to carry out their mission (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8). But the Holy Spirit is not some impersonal cosmic ‘it’ but a ‘He’—a Person, the Third Person of the Triune God. He is “the Spirit of truth” (John 15:26).
Jesus tells of the Spirit’s role. As the Spirit of truth “He will guide you into all truth. . . . [He] will tell you whatever He receives from Me” (vv.13-15). ”He will teach you” (John 14:26).
How does the Spirit carry out His teaching role? First, the Spirit moved men to write down God’s Word (1 Peter 1:11; 2 Peter 1:19). The Bible is accurate, reliable and authoritative truth because it came to us under the inspiration of the Spirit of truth (2 Timothy 2:16).
Second, the Spirit convicts and convinces us of our sinfulness. He reveals that we’re sinners in need of God’s righteousness (John 16:8)—who is Christ crucified, resurrected and exalted (v.10; Acts 2:31).
Third, the Spirit reveals the truth about Jesus, illuminating and helping us to understand the work and words of the Savior more fully (John 14:26).
We worship the God of truth (Isaiah 65:16), believe Jesus is the truth (John 14:6) and are led by the Spirit of truth (Romans 8:14; Galatians 5:25). We are people of the Truth (2 John 1:2; 3 John 1:3).
What does it mean for you to be “led by the Spirit”? (Galatians 5:13).
How does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? Who is Jesus, and what has He done for you—as revealed by the Spirit?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more