What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Little is Too Much
Do not spread slanderous gossip among your people (Leviticus 19:16).
There’s something so tempting about the antisocial delicacy of gossip. We enjoy it, even when it makes us feel guilty and ashamed. According to researchers, however, we don’t have to feel ashamed anymore because a little gossip is healthy. The researchers believe gossip is what keeps the culture going, greasing the social machine. “It’s a social skill, not a character flaw,” says Frank McAndrew, a professor of psychology at Knox College. “It’s only when you don’t do it well that you get into trouble.”
Well the Bible is very clear that a little gossip is unhealthy, and it’s what breaks down community.
The original word for gossip meant ‘idle talk’. This type of communication can lead to foolishly or maliciously spreading rumors or facts about another person. Solomon said that gossip could have disastrous effects. It’s used as an intimidation tactic against God’s leaders, (Nehemiah 6:5; Psalms 41:5; 3 John 1:9), separates close friends (Proverbs 16:28), betrays confidences (Proverbs 11:13), shames and saddles the one speaking with a bad reputation (Proverbs 25:9), and it perpetually fuels the embers of quarrels (Proverbs 26:20).
God has zero tolerance for all forms of gossip because we can never undo the damage our untrue words have done to a neighbor (Exodus 23:1; Psalms 101:5). Simply put, even a little gossip is too much (and is unhealthy) because it can destroy God’s holy community (Leviticus 19:16).
Let’s ask Jesus to help us set a guard over the door of our lips and limit our words (Psalms 141:3; Proverbs 10:19). We must also choose to associate only with people who use their words to lift up others (Proverbs 20:19), remain busy in working and doing good things (1 Timothy 1:13) and speak the truth about others in love.
Read John 7:12 and see how people gossiped about Jesus.
When are you tempted to be a gossip? How can you be an instrument of peace, quelling malicious talk about others?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more