He Will Handle ItWhat burden will you give to Him today?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Little is Too Much
Do not spread slanderous gossip among your people (Leviticus 19:16).
There’s something so tempting about the antisocial delicacy of gossip. We enjoy it, even when it makes us feel guilty and ashamed. According to researchers, however, we don’t have to feel ashamed anymore because a little gossip is healthy. The researchers believe gossip is what keeps the culture going, greasing the social machine. “It’s a social skill, not a character flaw,” says Frank McAndrew, a professor of psychology at Knox College. “It’s only when you don’t do it well that you get into trouble.”
Well the Bible is very clear that a little gossip is unhealthy, and it’s what breaks down community.
The original word for gossip meant ‘idle talk’. This type of communication can lead to foolishly or maliciously spreading rumors or facts about another person. Solomon said that gossip could have disastrous effects. It’s used as an intimidation tactic against God’s leaders, (Nehemiah 6:5; Psalms 41:5; 3 John 1:9), separates close friends (Proverbs 16:28), betrays confidences (Proverbs 11:13), shames and saddles the one speaking with a bad reputation (Proverbs 25:9), and it perpetually fuels the embers of quarrels (Proverbs 26:20).
God has zero tolerance for all forms of gossip because we can never undo the damage our untrue words have done to a neighbor (Exodus 23:1; Psalms 101:5). Simply put, even a little gossip is too much (and is unhealthy) because it can destroy God’s holy community (Leviticus 19:16).
Let’s ask Jesus to help us set a guard over the door of our lips and limit our words (Psalms 141:3; Proverbs 10:19). We must also choose to associate only with people who use their words to lift up others (Proverbs 20:19), remain busy in working and doing good things (1 Timothy 1:13) and speak the truth about others in love.
Read John 7:12 and see how people gossiped about Jesus.
When are you tempted to be a gossip? How can you be an instrument of peace, quelling malicious talk about others?
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more