Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
A Little is Too Much
Do not spread slanderous gossip among your people (Leviticus 19:16).
There’s something so tempting about the antisocial delicacy of gossip. We enjoy it, even when it makes us feel guilty and ashamed. According to researchers, however, we don’t have to feel ashamed anymore because a little gossip is healthy. The researchers believe gossip is what keeps the culture going, greasing the social machine. “It’s a social skill, not a character flaw,” says Frank McAndrew, a professor of psychology at Knox College. “It’s only when you don’t do it well that you get into trouble.”
Well the Bible is very clear that a little gossip is unhealthy, and it’s what breaks down community.
The original word for gossip meant ‘idle talk’. This type of communication can lead to foolishly or maliciously spreading rumors or facts about another person. Solomon said that gossip could have disastrous effects. It’s used as an intimidation tactic against God’s leaders, (Nehemiah 6:5; Psalms 41:5; 3 John 1:9), separates close friends (Proverbs 16:28), betrays confidences (Proverbs 11:13), shames and saddles the one speaking with a bad reputation (Proverbs 25:9), and it perpetually fuels the embers of quarrels (Proverbs 26:20).
God has zero tolerance for all forms of gossip because we can never undo the damage our untrue words have done to a neighbor (Exodus 23:1; Psalms 101:5). Simply put, even a little gossip is too much (and is unhealthy) because it can destroy God’s holy community (Leviticus 19:16).
Let’s ask Jesus to help us set a guard over the door of our lips and limit our words (Psalms 141:3; Proverbs 10:19). We must also choose to associate only with people who use their words to lift up others (Proverbs 20:19), remain busy in working and doing good things (1 Timothy 1:13) and speak the truth about others in love.
Read John 7:12 and see how people gossiped about Jesus.
When are you tempted to be a gossip? How can you be an instrument of peace, quelling malicious talk about others?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more