Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
A Baby’s Cry
She gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped [Jesus] snugly in strips of cloth and laid Him in a manger (Luke 2:7).
Recently, one state in the US instituted a law requiring each pregnant woman considering an abortion to watch a sonogram of her unborn child, receive medically accurate explanations of what she views, and listen to her baby’s heartbeat. Following the law’s passage, a blogger who supports abortion raised money and bought iPods for abortion clinics. Her purpose? To provide each patient with a way to drown out the sound of her baby’s heartbeat. By cranking up the volume, she can stifle the sounds of life within her.
Mary could feel the life within her. The promised child (Luke 1:30-32) stirring in her womb stirred her heart with joy during the final days of her pregnancy. When she and Joseph reached Bethlehem, Jesus was born and she tenderly held Him in her arms for the first time. Lovingly, she “wrapped Him snugly in strips of cloth and laid Him in a manger” (Luke 2:7). This was the normal behavior of a loving mother—tenderly cradling human life created in God’s image (Genesis 1:27).
Sadly, a ruthless king would try to destroy Mary’s child, out of fear that Jesus would ultimately seize his throne. Herod “sent soldiers to kill all the boys in and around Bethlehem who were two years old and under” (Matthew 2:16). This horrific act led to “a cry . . . heard in Ramah—weeping and great mourning” (Matthew 2:18). Women wept as they heard their babies’ final cry.
When a child is aborted, it defies normal, motherly love, and it destroys life made in God’s image. It’s not normal; it’s aberrant. By God’s grace, those who have allowed a baby to be taken through abortion can find forgiveness (1 John 1:9). But if you’re considering abortion today, don’t drown out the truth of God’s view of life and the sound of a baby’s heartbeat and cry.
How does abortion defy God’s plan for life? Why is it so harmful to the overall moral and spiritual fabric of a society?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more