Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Researchers Christian Smith and Melinda Lundquist Denton have coined a term for the religious beliefs of many teens, Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. Their view of God and faith, shared by a good portion of adults as well, is moralistic in that they think life is all about getting people to "be good." Therapeutic stands for the reality that the teens feel that faith is solely to make them happy and feel good. And deism defines their view of God as the One who created the world but isn't really involved in our lives today.
The apostle Paul had a very different view of God and our goodness. In Romans 5 he states that we were not born good, but dead in our sins (vv.6-8). Striving to "be good" will not work, for we can only be "made right in God's sight by the blood of Christ" (v.9).
Paul describes life as not being all about happiness, for we will face "problems and trials" (v.3). These challenges bring about helpful development of our character and hope in Jesus (vv.4-5). We may not always be happy, but we can "rejoice" because of what God has done and is doing in us (v.3).
Finally, Paul states: "We can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God" (v.11). The intimacy and relationship seen in the apostle's inspired words are a far cry from a distant God who isn't really involved in our lives. He loves us and His Spirit lives within us (v.5). Do Paul's views of God and belief in Him jibe with your own? A true view of God and His active, redeeming work in our lives is essential for a transforming faith, one that glorifies and accurately reveals Him to others. , Tom Felten
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more