He Will Handle ItWhat burden will you give to Him today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Fit for a King?
The Lord replied, “Do as they say, and give them a king” (v.22).
Singapore is a democratic state. It was a British colony for 150 years and had a string of kings and queens during that time period. But now democracy rules the day!
In 1 Samuel 1:1 we find the people of Israel demanding a king.
Why did they want a royal ruler? At first glance two reasons stand out. Samuel was old and his sons were corrupt (1 Samuel 1:5). We need to do succession planning, they argued.
But in chapter 12 we learn that the military threat posed by Nahash, the king of Ammon, was perhaps the fundamental reason the Israelites wanted a king. They wanted a king who would lead them into battle, just like all the other nations.
We call this expediency. (Haven’t you and I done something that was expedient?) Essentially the people were saying: “We don’t want to be a distinct nation. We don’t want God to be our king any longer.”
Samuel warned that having a king similar to all the nations would mean the loss of freedoms and possessions that the people presently enjoyed. (Note the recurrence of the words “take” and “best” in 1 Samuel 8:11.) Yet the people insisted.
One Bible commentator wrote: “To the Israelites the price they will pay for their king is judged as far less than they will pay for being subject to other nations. What they do not understand is that God will protect them at no cost if they simply repent of their sins, cry out for deliverance and serve Him with their whole heart.”
Oswald Chambers reminds us: “Don’t glory in man, for the best of men are but the best of men; bank on God alone.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Chronicles 20:1 for an example of someone who banked on God alone, and notice the results of his actions.
Under what circumstances do you find it most tempting to take things into your own hands rather than to trust in God? What are the implications of being a distinct people with God as our King?
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more