Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
We Are Family
You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family (Ephesians 2:19).
We often say in the church that we’re a family, and we address each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. But what does that really mean? What implications does the word family hold?
We read in Ephesians 2:19, “You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family.” Note that the word yourefers to the Gentiles. In other words, the Gentiles are now members of God’s family with the Jews. It might be difficult to fully appreciate the significance of Paul’s statement, so let’s check out some of the ancient Jewish laws according to one scholar:
• It was unlawful to render help to a pregnant Gentile woman during the birth of her baby, for that would simply result in another Gentile coming into the world.
• If a Jewish boy married a Gentile girl, or if a Jewish girl married a Gentile boy, the death of that Jewish boy or girl was required.
Until Jesus came, the Jews had an immense contempt for the Gentiles. But He reconciled both the Jews and Gentiles to God—and to one another (Ephesians 2:14).
So the word family connotes unity, and it also suggests a bond deeper than citizenship. It’s a relationship made possible by the blood of Christ, and it has nothing to do with how we feel about one another. It also necessitates that we put aside our prejudices, and that we should serve and care for one another, for we are God’s family.
Songwriter Bill Gaither wrote, “You will notice we say ‘brother and sister’ ’round here. It’s because we’re a family and these are so near; when one has a heartache, we all share the tears, and rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Hosea 2:1 for the new way God wants us to see our brothers and sisters in Jesus.
How have you not been treating members of God’s family as your brothers and sisters? Why do you think God wants us to know that in Him we are family?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more