Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
We Are Family
You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family (Ephesians 2:19).
We often say in the church that we’re a family, and we address each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. But what does that really mean? What implications does the word family hold?
We read in Ephesians 2:19, “You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family.” Note that the word yourefers to the Gentiles. In other words, the Gentiles are now members of God’s family with the Jews. It might be difficult to fully appreciate the significance of Paul’s statement, so let’s check out some of the ancient Jewish laws according to one scholar:
• It was unlawful to render help to a pregnant Gentile woman during the birth of her baby, for that would simply result in another Gentile coming into the world.
• If a Jewish boy married a Gentile girl, or if a Jewish girl married a Gentile boy, the death of that Jewish boy or girl was required.
Until Jesus came, the Jews had an immense contempt for the Gentiles. But He reconciled both the Jews and Gentiles to God—and to one another (Ephesians 2:14).
So the word family connotes unity, and it also suggests a bond deeper than citizenship. It’s a relationship made possible by the blood of Christ, and it has nothing to do with how we feel about one another. It also necessitates that we put aside our prejudices, and that we should serve and care for one another, for we are God’s family.
Songwriter Bill Gaither wrote, “You will notice we say ‘brother and sister’ ’round here. It’s because we’re a family and these are so near; when one has a heartache, we all share the tears, and rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Hosea 2:1 for the new way God wants us to see our brothers and sisters in Jesus.
How have you not been treating members of God’s family as your brothers and sisters? Why do you think God wants us to know that in Him we are family?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more