The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
We Are Family
You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family (Ephesians 2:19).
We often say in the church that we’re a family, and we address each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. But what does that really mean? What implications does the word family hold?
We read in Ephesians 2:19, “You Gentiles are no longer strangers and foreigners. You are citizens along with all of God’s holy people. You are members of God’s family.” Note that the word yourefers to the Gentiles. In other words, the Gentiles are now members of God’s family with the Jews. It might be difficult to fully appreciate the significance of Paul’s statement, so let’s check out some of the ancient Jewish laws according to one scholar:
• It was unlawful to render help to a pregnant Gentile woman during the birth of her baby, for that would simply result in another Gentile coming into the world.
• If a Jewish boy married a Gentile girl, or if a Jewish girl married a Gentile boy, the death of that Jewish boy or girl was required.
Until Jesus came, the Jews had an immense contempt for the Gentiles. But He reconciled both the Jews and Gentiles to God—and to one another (Ephesians 2:14).
So the word family connotes unity, and it also suggests a bond deeper than citizenship. It’s a relationship made possible by the blood of Christ, and it has nothing to do with how we feel about one another. It also necessitates that we put aside our prejudices, and that we should serve and care for one another, for we are God’s family.
Songwriter Bill Gaither wrote, “You will notice we say ‘brother and sister’ ’round here. It’s because we’re a family and these are so near; when one has a heartache, we all share the tears, and rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Hosea 2:1 for the new way God wants us to see our brothers and sisters in Jesus.
How have you not been treating members of God’s family as your brothers and sisters? Why do you think God wants us to know that in Him we are family?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more