Gateway of HopeHow has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?
Top Music Videos
If your hand—even your stronger hand—causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away (5:30).
The film 127 Hours tells the true story of Aron Ralston, based on his memoir Between a Rock and a Hard Place. In 2003 Aron’s forearm became pinned under a boulder for 5 days with no rescue in sight. Out of desperation he freed himself by cutting off his right arm with a blunt penknife. This gruesome scene in the film caused many horrified customers to walk out of cinemas. Some became physically sick or fainted as they watched Aron removing his appendage.
Jesus told His disciples to carry out a similarly horrific self-amputation. “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. . . . If your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away” (Matthew 18:8). Why such drastic, gruesome self-mutilation?
Thankfully, Jesus’ instructions were not meant to be taken literally. Jesus was using intentional overstatement to show the severity of sinning and the necessity of drastic, decisive actions to stop doing it (Matthew 5:28; Colossians 3:5).
Removing our hand or eye can’t remove sin, because sin comes from deep within our hearts (Mark 7:20). A blind man can still lust and a man without a hand can still steal. We must control what our eyes gaze on (Psalms 119:37; Matthew 5:28; 1 John 1:16), what our hands do (Isaiah 59:3) and where our feet go (v.7).
The metaphorical, not literal, cutting off a hand or gouging out of an eye is needed for spiritual survival. “It’s better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet” (Matthew 18:8).
No matter how pleasurable a sin is, it’s not worth facing the harshness of hell.
What does Paul say about temptations and how to overcome them so that we can avoid sin? (1 Corinthians 10:12).
Have you been or are you presently fighting a temptation where you may have “to cut off your hand or foot” in order not to sin? What does it mean practically for you to ‘amputate’ that hand or foot?
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more
- Confidence in the Shepherd's Voice - Believers in Jesus are called to take every thought captive....read more