Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Rude and Racist
Jesus responded, “It isn’t right to take food from the children and throw it
to the dogs” (v.26).
Jesus could be harsh at times. He called Pharisees
“whitewashed tombs” (that is, nice on the outside,
disgusting within); He called Herod a “fox”; He
even called Peter “Satan” (Matthew 23:27; Luke 13:32;
Mark 8:33). Yes, Jesus could be forthright—but rude and
racist? Some think today’s story proves so.
Jesus was hiding in a home in the region of Tyre and
Sidon, trying to escape the crowds (Mark 7:24), when a
Canaanite woman pushed her way in and begged Him
to heal her demon-possessed daughter. How did Jesus
respond? With silence. Was He ignoring her or thinking
through His options?
When Jesus does reply, He doesn’t give the woman
much hope. His calling is first to the Jews, not to pagans
like her (Matthew 15:24). Unperturbed, the woman
kneels before Him and begs more urgently (v.25). Then
Jesus utters those troubling words: “It isn’t right to take
food from the children and throw it to the dogs” (v.26).
We can’t avoid it: Jesus has just given a racial slur.
Gentiles are but “dogs” in comparison to Jews. Ouch.
But did we miss the twinkle in His eye? Jesus is most
likely using the sort of a language a Gentile person
could expect from a Jew. He was throwing out a test to
the woman, seeing how she’d respond. And she didn’t
miss a beat, saying, “That’s true, Lord, but even dogs are
allowed to eat the scraps that fall beneath their master’s
table” (v.27). Her faith is proved and Jesus grants her request (vv.28-29). He
probably even laughed at her reply, as author Elton Trueblood has suggested.
Jesus was no bigot or racist. He accepted prostitutes and tax collectors
(Matthew 9:10); He healed and praised non-Jews (8:5-10; Luke 17:11-19). He
does, however, test our faith. How is He testing you today? —Sheridan Voysey
What does this story
say to you about the
personality of Jesus? How
might Jesus test our faith
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more