Top Christian Music Videos
Rude and Racist
Jesus responded, “It isn’t right to take food from the children and throw it
to the dogs” (v.26).
Jesus could be harsh at times. He called Pharisees
“whitewashed tombs” (that is, nice on the outside,
disgusting within); He called Herod a “fox”; He
even called Peter “Satan” (Matthew 23:27; Luke 13:32;
Mark 8:33). Yes, Jesus could be forthright—but rude and
racist? Some think today’s story proves so.
Jesus was hiding in a home in the region of Tyre and
Sidon, trying to escape the crowds (Mark 7:24), when a
Canaanite woman pushed her way in and begged Him
to heal her demon-possessed daughter. How did Jesus
respond? With silence. Was He ignoring her or thinking
through His options?
When Jesus does reply, He doesn’t give the woman
much hope. His calling is first to the Jews, not to pagans
like her (Matthew 15:24). Unperturbed, the woman
kneels before Him and begs more urgently (v.25). Then
Jesus utters those troubling words: “It isn’t right to take
food from the children and throw it to the dogs” (v.26).
We can’t avoid it: Jesus has just given a racial slur.
Gentiles are but “dogs” in comparison to Jews. Ouch.
But did we miss the twinkle in His eye? Jesus is most
likely using the sort of a language a Gentile person
could expect from a Jew. He was throwing out a test to
the woman, seeing how she’d respond. And she didn’t
miss a beat, saying, “That’s true, Lord, but even dogs are
allowed to eat the scraps that fall beneath their master’s
table” (v.27). Her faith is proved and Jesus grants her request (vv.28-29). He
probably even laughed at her reply, as author Elton Trueblood has suggested.
Jesus was no bigot or racist. He accepted prostitutes and tax collectors
(Matthew 9:10); He healed and praised non-Jews (8:5-10; Luke 17:11-19). He
does, however, test our faith. How is He testing you today? —Sheridan Voysey
What does this story
say to you about the
personality of Jesus? How
might Jesus test our faith
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more