Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Rude and Racist
Jesus responded, “It isn’t right to take food from the children and throw it
to the dogs” (v.26).
Jesus could be harsh at times. He called Pharisees
“whitewashed tombs” (that is, nice on the outside,
disgusting within); He called Herod a “fox”; He
even called Peter “Satan” (Matthew 23:27; Luke 13:32;
Mark 8:33). Yes, Jesus could be forthright—but rude and
racist? Some think today’s story proves so.
Jesus was hiding in a home in the region of Tyre and
Sidon, trying to escape the crowds (Mark 7:24), when a
Canaanite woman pushed her way in and begged Him
to heal her demon-possessed daughter. How did Jesus
respond? With silence. Was He ignoring her or thinking
through His options?
When Jesus does reply, He doesn’t give the woman
much hope. His calling is first to the Jews, not to pagans
like her (Matthew 15:24). Unperturbed, the woman
kneels before Him and begs more urgently (v.25). Then
Jesus utters those troubling words: “It isn’t right to take
food from the children and throw it to the dogs” (v.26).
We can’t avoid it: Jesus has just given a racial slur.
Gentiles are but “dogs” in comparison to Jews. Ouch.
But did we miss the twinkle in His eye? Jesus is most
likely using the sort of a language a Gentile person
could expect from a Jew. He was throwing out a test to
the woman, seeing how she’d respond. And she didn’t
miss a beat, saying, “That’s true, Lord, but even dogs are
allowed to eat the scraps that fall beneath their master’s
table” (v.27). Her faith is proved and Jesus grants her request (vv.28-29). He
probably even laughed at her reply, as author Elton Trueblood has suggested.
Jesus was no bigot or racist. He accepted prostitutes and tax collectors
(Matthew 9:10); He healed and praised non-Jews (8:5-10; Luke 17:11-19). He
does, however, test our faith. How is He testing you today? —Sheridan Voysey
What does this story
say to you about the
personality of Jesus? How
might Jesus test our faith
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more