Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus has been taken from you into heaven,
but someday He will return from heaven in the
same way you saw Him go! (v.11).
One of my favorite movies is the 1982 science
fiction blockbuster E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. The
movie ends with an emotional scene as E.T. says
goodbye to his young friend Elliot. Before entering the
spaceship, E.T. tells him, “I’ll be right here,” pointing his
glowing finger to Elliott’s head. E.T. then walks into the
spaceship and takes off, leaving a rainbow in the sky,
which in a way reminds me of Jesus’ ascension.
Ascension Day is the day Jesus returned to heaven,
40 days after His crucifixion (Acts 1:3). Unlike Good
Friday, Easter Sunday, or Pentecost Sunday, very few
churches hold services to remember Jesus’ return to
heaven. So what does His ascension mean for us today?
Prior to His ascension, Jesus told His disciples, “You will
be My witnesses, telling people about Me everywhere”
(v.8). His return to the Father set in motion the powerful
indwelling ministry of the Holy Spirit (vv.4-5,8). Jesus
said that He had to go away (John 16:7). Only then
would the Father send the Holy Spirit as a gift to us (Acts
1:4; John 14:16-17). He came to indwell every believer
(1 Corinthians 3:16), and to be our Advocate, Comforter,
Counselor, and Teacher (John 14:26, 15:26).
Jesus’ return to heaven set the course for His promised
return to earth (v.11). Having completed His redemptive
work on the cross, Jesus continues His intercessory work
as our Advocate and High Priest in heaven, enthroned at the Father’s right hand
(Romans 8:34; Hebrews 8:1-2; 1 John 2:1). “But someday He will return from
heaven in the same way you saw Him go” (Acts 1:11) and “with great power
and glory” (Mark 13:26).
Considering that nearly 2,000 years have already passed, the day of His
return for us could come much sooner than we expect (Rom. 13:11; 1 Peter 4:7).
But today, by His Spirit, He is “right here” in our hearts. —K.T. Sim
What does Ephesians 1:18 teach you about
Jesus’ return to heaven?
Why do you feel it’s
important to remember
Jesus’ return to the Father?
How does His imminent
return to earth affect the
way you live today?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more