Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father (Matthew 5:16).
Watch me, Mom!” On any given day, these words resonate through our house as our kids seek to entertain us or attempt a new skill. Sharing moments of accomplishment with those who believe in us and stand ready to encourage our next endeavor is a beautiful thing. Lately, as my husband and I are going through a test of faith in our ministry lives, I have become aware that God is calling me to act in such a way that I can say to my children, “Watch me.”
One of the enemy’s greatest lies in the midst of tribulation is the idea that we’re alone. This false sense of isolation brings temptation on several fronts. We can nurture the wrong idea that God has somehow abandoned us to walk through a spiritual desert alone (Psalm 94:14; Isaiah 43:1-2). We can also incorrectly believe we are the only person who has ever faced such a situation (Ecclesiastes 1:10; 1 Corinthians 10:13). Finally, the enemy can get us so inwardly focused that we forget how our actions affect those around us.
Jesus knew the world would be watching those who claimed to follow His name. Prior to His challenge of being a light on a hill, however, Jesus spent a great deal of time talking about kingdom values, some of which center around suffering and loss (Matthew 5:3-4,10-12).
When we face hardship in our lives, even moments of injustice, we must be aware that God and “a huge crowd of witnesses” (Hebrews 12:1-3) are watching us. We remember this truth, not because we fear failure but because it encourages us to press on in the power of the Holy Spirit. He allows us to walk through any place in life in a manner worthy of the cross (Ephesians 4:1; 1 Thessalonians 2:10-12).
Why is our first response to a challenge usually one of frustration or dismay? How does the knowledge that others are watching you transform hard situations into opportunities for God’s greatness to be displayed?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more