Gateway of HopeHow has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?
Top Music Videos
Intimidation of the Bible
O Lord, listen to my cry; give me the discerning mind You promised (Psalm 119:169).
The Bible can intimidate me sometimes. Certain statements bring on the guilt. Here are just a few of them: “You are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48); “You must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy” (1 Peter 1:15). Psalm 119 elicits enough guilt to last a lifetime: “I have devoted myself to Your commandments” (Psalm 119:45); “I rise at midnight to thank You for Your just regulations” (Psalm 119:62); “I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of Your laws” (Psalm 119:99); “I have done what is just and right” (Psalm 119:121).
Yet, when read closely, Psalm 119 holds much help and encouragement for us. The poem expresses the longings and musings of a fellow struggler who constantly implores God for help. “Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect Your decrees!” (Psalm 119:5). That’s a plaintive cry I can relate to.“I have tried hard to find You—don’t let me wander from Your commands” (Psalm 119:10). Yes! That’s my prayer. “You made me; You created me. Now give me the sense to follow Your commands” (Psalm 119:73). This guy speaks for me!
The “impossible” statements—the ones that seem to make absolute declarations of fidelity to God and righteousness— comprise an ideal. They put words to the goal we’re to pursue. We hunger for a perfect God. Anything less would be—well—ungodly. Our uneasy awareness of God’s holy standard informs us of our need for a Savior. We grow acutely aware of the fact that we can’t do it!
And so, this longest of psalms with its “impossible” aspirations to spiritual greatness concludes so very humanly: “I have wandered away like a lost sheep; come and find me, for I have not forgotten Your commands” (Psalm 119:176).
What’s causing guilt in your life, and why? What would the psalmist do with such guilt?
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more
- Confidence in the Shepherd's Voice - Believers in Jesus are called to take every thought captive....read more