Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Jesus reached out and touched him (v.3).
Kiley had ventured outside her home country only
once in her 18 years. So when she had the chance
to go to Kenya to help with a medical mission, she
was thrilled—and a little uneasy. After all, she didn’t have
any real medical experience.
As she provided basic medical care in a remote
village, she met a woman with elephantiasis. It’s a
horrible but treatable disease caused by parasitic worms.
Elephantiasis causes grotesque swelling in the lower half
of the body. Prevention includes simply wearing shoes.
But in poverty-stricken Africa, many villagers have little or
no access to such basic needs.
Kiley was repulsed by the woman’s distorted leg, but
she proceeded to clean and bandage it. The woman
began crying. Startled, Kiley asked if she was hurting
her. “No,” she replied. “It’s the first time in 9 years that
anyone has touched my leg.”
Leprosy is another disease that renders its victims
repulsive to others. Ancient Jewish culture had strict
guidelines to prevent it from spreading. “They must live
in isolation . . . outside the camp,” read the Levitical law
(Leviticus 13:45-46). Sufferers had to loudly announce
“unclean” from a far distance to prevent others from
That’s why it’s so remarkable that a leper had the nerve
to approach Jesus and say, “Lord, . . . if You are willing,
You can heal me and make me clean” (Matthew 8:2). Jesus did the unthinkable.
He “reached out and touched him,” says the New Testament account. “I am
willing,” He said. “Be healed” (v.3).
In touching a lonely woman’s diseased leg, Kiley was imitating the fearless,
taboo-breaking love of Jesus. It was one tiny touch, but it made a difference.
What difference will you make today? —Tim Gustafson
To understand more
about the detailed Jewish
laws covering leprosy
and other skin diseases,
see Leviticus 13:1.
Is there someone you are
afraid to touch? Why
is this so? What might
need to change for you to
become more like Jesus?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more