Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jesus reached out and touched him (v.3).
Kiley had ventured outside her home country only
once in her 18 years. So when she had the chance
to go to Kenya to help with a medical mission, she
was thrilled—and a little uneasy. After all, she didn’t have
any real medical experience.
As she provided basic medical care in a remote
village, she met a woman with elephantiasis. It’s a
horrible but treatable disease caused by parasitic worms.
Elephantiasis causes grotesque swelling in the lower half
of the body. Prevention includes simply wearing shoes.
But in poverty-stricken Africa, many villagers have little or
no access to such basic needs.
Kiley was repulsed by the woman’s distorted leg, but
she proceeded to clean and bandage it. The woman
began crying. Startled, Kiley asked if she was hurting
her. “No,” she replied. “It’s the first time in 9 years that
anyone has touched my leg.”
Leprosy is another disease that renders its victims
repulsive to others. Ancient Jewish culture had strict
guidelines to prevent it from spreading. “They must live
in isolation . . . outside the camp,” read the Levitical law
(Leviticus 13:45-46). Sufferers had to loudly announce
“unclean” from a far distance to prevent others from
That’s why it’s so remarkable that a leper had the nerve
to approach Jesus and say, “Lord, . . . if You are willing,
You can heal me and make me clean” (Matthew 8:2). Jesus did the unthinkable.
He “reached out and touched him,” says the New Testament account. “I am
willing,” He said. “Be healed” (v.3).
In touching a lonely woman’s diseased leg, Kiley was imitating the fearless,
taboo-breaking love of Jesus. It was one tiny touch, but it made a difference.
What difference will you make today? —Tim Gustafson
To understand more
about the detailed Jewish
laws covering leprosy
and other skin diseases,
see Leviticus 13:1.
Is there someone you are
afraid to touch? Why
is this so? What might
need to change for you to
become more like Jesus?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more