VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Had to Go There
He had to go through Samaria on the way (John 4:4).
Author Elizabeth Berg once wrote, “You know the phrase ‘It’s always in the little things’? In writing, it is always the little things—it’s the details . . . that make a character and a story come alive.”
The gospel authors knew the importance of details. For example, the apostle John wrote that Jesus “had to go through Samaria” as He was traveling from Judea to Galilee (John 4:4). This little detail tells us more than we often realize about Jesus, His kingdom, and what it means to be His follower.
Pious Jews of Jesus’ day wouldn’t be caught dead in Samaria. They would rather take the long way home to avoid that dreaded place because they considered Samaritans to be unclean and defiled half-breeds. Back in those days, it was also unheard of for a Jewish man, especially a rabbi, to talk with a woman in public. Women were considered inferior to men. No self-respecting Jewish male would ever strike up a conversation with a female, let alone a divorcée who was living with a man that wasn’t her husband (John 4:17-18).
But that’s what Jesus did (John 4:7-42). It’s precisely why John reported that Jesus “had to go through Samaria.” He hadto travel through a region that many considered racially and religiously impure so that He could converse with a woman with a sketchy background; He wanted to push back the injustices of His day—namely racism, sexism, and social prejudice. Jesus “had to go” to make a bold statement. In essence, He was declaring: “There is no place for such things in My kingdom.” As He went, He also set a pattern for His followers.
John’s seemingly small detail tells us that being Jesus’ follower and working for His kingdom involves standing against the wrong in our world and working to make it right.
Read Micah 6:8 and note how the Old Testament prophet links the seeking of justice and mercy with humbly following God.
How are you standing for what Jesus stood for and against what He stood against? Why is justice so important to God?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more