New BeginningsHow has God equipped you to follow Him?
Top Christian Music Videos
Had to Go There
He had to go through Samaria on the way (John 4:4).
Author Elizabeth Berg once wrote, “You know the phrase ‘It’s always in the little things’? In writing, it is always the little things—it’s the details . . . that make a character and a story come alive.”
The gospel authors knew the importance of details. For example, the apostle John wrote that Jesus “had to go through Samaria” as He was traveling from Judea to Galilee (John 4:4). This little detail tells us more than we often realize about Jesus, His kingdom, and what it means to be His follower.
Pious Jews of Jesus’ day wouldn’t be caught dead in Samaria. They would rather take the long way home to avoid that dreaded place because they considered Samaritans to be unclean and defiled half-breeds. Back in those days, it was also unheard of for a Jewish man, especially a rabbi, to talk with a woman in public. Women were considered inferior to men. No self-respecting Jewish male would ever strike up a conversation with a female, let alone a divorcée who was living with a man that wasn’t her husband (John 4:17-18).
But that’s what Jesus did (John 4:7-42). It’s precisely why John reported that Jesus “had to go through Samaria.” He hadto travel through a region that many considered racially and religiously impure so that He could converse with a woman with a sketchy background; He wanted to push back the injustices of His day—namely racism, sexism, and social prejudice. Jesus “had to go” to make a bold statement. In essence, He was declaring: “There is no place for such things in My kingdom.” As He went, He also set a pattern for His followers.
John’s seemingly small detail tells us that being Jesus’ follower and working for His kingdom involves standing against the wrong in our world and working to make it right.
Read Micah 6:8 and note how the Old Testament prophet links the seeking of justice and mercy with humbly following God.
How are you standing for what Jesus stood for and against what He stood against? Why is justice so important to God?
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more