Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back (v.15).
On October 25, 2010, an earthquake created a tsunami that left hundreds of people missing or dead in Indonesia. The deaths could have been prevented or minimized if the tsunami warning system had been working properly. The tsunami detection network consists of two buoys designed to measure unusual waves and send signals inland—alerting people to imminent danger. But the buoys had become detached and drifted away, failing to warn people of the approaching tsunami.
In Matthew 18:1 Jesus said that His disciples had a responsibility to alert fellow believers to spiritual danger by confronting sin (v.15). He outlined a four-step process to confront sinning believers and restore them to fellowship. When a believer in Jesus became aware of sin in the life of a fellow believer, the first step was humble, private confrontation. Private confrontation indicated deep love for the sinning brother and a desire not to humiliate him. If he repented then he would be restored. If he refused then the second step was private confrontation with witnesses (v.16). These unbiased, uninvolved and honest witnesses would confirm attitudes and actions of the sinning brother and the confronter.
If the sinning brother did not repent the matter was brought before the church (v.17, probably the assembly of the disciples). If he refused to listen to the church and repent of his sin, then he was to be treated like an outsider, having community fellowship removed from him. Though community fellowship was removed, he was still loved and the door of restoration remained open.
As followers of Jesus we’re called to protect the purity of the church. We do this by lovingly alerting fellow believers to the dangers of unrepentant sin. We must humbly address and resolve the matter with the least amount of publicity as possible.
Read Joshua 7:1 to discover the effects of one man’s sin on his entire community.
What is the best way to confront someone regarding sin? Is there someone you need to alert? What will you do to protect the bride of Jesus from sin?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more