Gateway of HopeHow has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?
Top Music Videos
Five kings have already fallen, the sixth now reigns, and the seventh is yet to come, but his reign will be brief (Revelation 17:10).
Muammar Gaddafi, Africa’s longest-reigning head of state, used to pitch his infamous luxury tent at the end of my street whenever he was in Uganda for Africa Union Summit meetings. My son and I would attempt to count the number of soldiers and short-range missile launchers that surrounded Gaddafi’s canvas residence. It was clear that the “Colonel” feared for his life and went beyond standard security measures for protection.
In 2011, shortly after Gaddafi paid what would be his last visit to Uganda, his fears became reality when the Libyan people revolted against him. My son and I vividly remember visiting London at the beginning of the revolt and seeing two dozen children outside the House of Parliament chanting, “Libya, Libya, one-two-three, throw Gaddafi in the sea!” Just a few days after we witnessed the protests, the dictator was captured and killed.
Gaddafi’s dethroning epitomizes Job’s proclamation that God “removes the royal robe of kings. They are led away with ropes around their waist” (Job 12:18). No evil king will prevail forever. No head of state or president, no matter how large his empire, will ever remain in power eternally or possess even a fraction of the power of the Almighty Lord. The Lord “strips kings of understanding and leaves them wandering in a pathless wasteland” (Job 12:24).
The Lord Jesus Christ reigns eternally. His truth and love will prevail over all ruthless leaders. “For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords. He alone can never die, and He lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach Him. No human eye has ever seen Him, nor ever will. All honor and power to Him forever! Amen” (1 Timothy 6:14-16). Jesus will never be dethroned!
Read Revelation 1:5 and consider what it says about Jesus, His reign, and His work on our behalf.
What does it mean for you to know that Jesus reigns forever? How does your relationship with the “King of kings” give you hope and purpose today?
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more
- Confidence in the Shepherd's Voice - Believers in Jesus are called to take every thought captive....read more