Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Five kings have already fallen, the sixth now reigns, and the seventh is yet to come, but his reign will be brief (Revelation 17:10).
Muammar Gaddafi, Africa’s longest-reigning head of state, used to pitch his infamous luxury tent at the end of my street whenever he was in Uganda for Africa Union Summit meetings. My son and I would attempt to count the number of soldiers and short-range missile launchers that surrounded Gaddafi’s canvas residence. It was clear that the “Colonel” feared for his life and went beyond standard security measures for protection.
In 2011, shortly after Gaddafi paid what would be his last visit to Uganda, his fears became reality when the Libyan people revolted against him. My son and I vividly remember visiting London at the beginning of the revolt and seeing two dozen children outside the House of Parliament chanting, “Libya, Libya, one-two-three, throw Gaddafi in the sea!” Just a few days after we witnessed the protests, the dictator was captured and killed.
Gaddafi’s dethroning epitomizes Job’s proclamation that God “removes the royal robe of kings. They are led away with ropes around their waist” (Job 12:18). No evil king will prevail forever. No head of state or president, no matter how large his empire, will ever remain in power eternally or possess even a fraction of the power of the Almighty Lord. The Lord “strips kings of understanding and leaves them wandering in a pathless wasteland” (Job 12:24).
The Lord Jesus Christ reigns eternally. His truth and love will prevail over all ruthless leaders. “For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords. He alone can never die, and He lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach Him. No human eye has ever seen Him, nor ever will. All honor and power to Him forever! Amen” (1 Timothy 6:14-16). Jesus will never be dethroned!
Read Revelation 1:5 and consider what it says about Jesus, His reign, and His work on our behalf.
What does it mean for you to know that Jesus reigns forever? How does your relationship with the “King of kings” give you hope and purpose today?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more