Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Five kings have already fallen, the sixth now reigns, and the seventh is yet to come, but his reign will be brief (Revelation 17:10).
Muammar Gaddafi, Africa’s longest-reigning head of state, used to pitch his infamous luxury tent at the end of my street whenever he was in Uganda for Africa Union Summit meetings. My son and I would attempt to count the number of soldiers and short-range missile launchers that surrounded Gaddafi’s canvas residence. It was clear that the “Colonel” feared for his life and went beyond standard security measures for protection.
In 2011, shortly after Gaddafi paid what would be his last visit to Uganda, his fears became reality when the Libyan people revolted against him. My son and I vividly remember visiting London at the beginning of the revolt and seeing two dozen children outside the House of Parliament chanting, “Libya, Libya, one-two-three, throw Gaddafi in the sea!” Just a few days after we witnessed the protests, the dictator was captured and killed.
Gaddafi’s dethroning epitomizes Job’s proclamation that God “removes the royal robe of kings. They are led away with ropes around their waist” (Job 12:18). No evil king will prevail forever. No head of state or president, no matter how large his empire, will ever remain in power eternally or possess even a fraction of the power of the Almighty Lord. The Lord “strips kings of understanding and leaves them wandering in a pathless wasteland” (Job 12:24).
The Lord Jesus Christ reigns eternally. His truth and love will prevail over all ruthless leaders. “For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords. He alone can never die, and He lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach Him. No human eye has ever seen Him, nor ever will. All honor and power to Him forever! Amen” (1 Timothy 6:14-16). Jesus will never be dethroned!
Read Revelation 1:5 and consider what it says about Jesus, His reign, and His work on our behalf.
What does it mean for you to know that Jesus reigns forever? How does your relationship with the “King of kings” give you hope and purpose today?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more