Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Five kings have already fallen, the sixth now reigns, and the seventh is yet to come, but his reign will be brief (Revelation 17:10).
Muammar Gaddafi, Africa’s longest-reigning head of state, used to pitch his infamous luxury tent at the end of my street whenever he was in Uganda for Africa Union Summit meetings. My son and I would attempt to count the number of soldiers and short-range missile launchers that surrounded Gaddafi’s canvas residence. It was clear that the “Colonel” feared for his life and went beyond standard security measures for protection.
In 2011, shortly after Gaddafi paid what would be his last visit to Uganda, his fears became reality when the Libyan people revolted against him. My son and I vividly remember visiting London at the beginning of the revolt and seeing two dozen children outside the House of Parliament chanting, “Libya, Libya, one-two-three, throw Gaddafi in the sea!” Just a few days after we witnessed the protests, the dictator was captured and killed.
Gaddafi’s dethroning epitomizes Job’s proclamation that God “removes the royal robe of kings. They are led away with ropes around their waist” (Job 12:18). No evil king will prevail forever. No head of state or president, no matter how large his empire, will ever remain in power eternally or possess even a fraction of the power of the Almighty Lord. The Lord “strips kings of understanding and leaves them wandering in a pathless wasteland” (Job 12:24).
The Lord Jesus Christ reigns eternally. His truth and love will prevail over all ruthless leaders. “For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords. He alone can never die, and He lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach Him. No human eye has ever seen Him, nor ever will. All honor and power to Him forever! Amen” (1 Timothy 6:14-16). Jesus will never be dethroned!
Read Revelation 1:5 and consider what it says about Jesus, His reign, and His work on our behalf.
What does it mean for you to know that Jesus reigns forever? How does your relationship with the “King of kings” give you hope and purpose today?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more