What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps (v.4).
Several motorway drivers phoned the police, reporting that a truck was erratically swerving down the road and jerking from side to side. About 6:30 a.m. the police spotted the vehicle and flashed their lights for the truck to pull over. When the officer approached the vehicle, he found an 8-year-old boy at the wheel. The boy’s father was asleep in the passenger seat.
This father’s reckless behavior (apparently he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs) put his son and others in immense danger. The boy’s dad should have been the one person he could trust to keep him safe; and yet this dad placed his son in jeopardy. Many of us have had someone we trusted leave us exposed or unprotected. As a result we wonder who will truly watch out for us. Who will never abandon us?
The psalmist declares that there is only One who can always be trusted. God is the One who “will not let you stumble.” He’s the “One who watches over you” and “will not slumber” (Psalms 121:3). God’s eyes are always open and he is always vigilant. God’s hand is always poised, ready to act.
Each of us has felt the sting of betrayal. Each of us has borne the brunt of another’s good intentions gone awry. What’s more, we all have done the same to others. While God intends for us to receive encouragement and support from family and friends, we must never believe another person to be the ultimate source of our security. “My help comes from the Lord,” says the psalmist (v.2).
God is always awake. God is always attentive to our need. God does not doze. God does not grow weary. God stands, ever ready to help us. —Winn Collier
Read 1 Peter 5:6. Who should carry our anxiety and concern? Yet we’re told to “stay alert” (v.8). Why do we need a posture that’s both alert and free of worry?
How have you been disappointed by others? Why is it important for you to lay down your self-protection and trust that God is watching over you?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more