Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps (v.4).
Several motorway drivers phoned the police, reporting that a truck was erratically swerving down the road and jerking from side to side. About 6:30 a.m. the police spotted the vehicle and flashed their lights for the truck to pull over. When the officer approached the vehicle, he found an 8-year-old boy at the wheel. The boy’s father was asleep in the passenger seat.
This father’s reckless behavior (apparently he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs) put his son and others in immense danger. The boy’s dad should have been the one person he could trust to keep him safe; and yet this dad placed his son in jeopardy. Many of us have had someone we trusted leave us exposed or unprotected. As a result we wonder who will truly watch out for us. Who will never abandon us?
The psalmist declares that there is only One who can always be trusted. God is the One who “will not let you stumble.” He’s the “One who watches over you” and “will not slumber” (Psalms 121:3). God’s eyes are always open and he is always vigilant. God’s hand is always poised, ready to act.
Each of us has felt the sting of betrayal. Each of us has borne the brunt of another’s good intentions gone awry. What’s more, we all have done the same to others. While God intends for us to receive encouragement and support from family and friends, we must never believe another person to be the ultimate source of our security. “My help comes from the Lord,” says the psalmist (v.2).
God is always awake. God is always attentive to our need. God does not doze. God does not grow weary. God stands, ever ready to help us. —Winn Collier
Read 1 Peter 5:6. Who should carry our anxiety and concern? Yet we’re told to “stay alert” (v.8). Why do we need a posture that’s both alert and free of worry?
How have you been disappointed by others? Why is it important for you to lay down your self-protection and trust that God is watching over you?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more