Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Answers to Prayers
1 John 5:13
We are confident that He hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him (v.14).
Two answers to prayer. Two perfect answers. The
first came after many of us had prayed for a young
adopted girl from Ethiopia. Before she was adopted,
tests showed that she was HIV positive. After her
adoption, however, subsequent tests revealed no signs
of HIV. We rejoiced! The second answer came after a
friend’s cancer returned. This week she entered hospice.
Not the answer we wanted. The disease is poised to
claim her life soon. We grieve. Yet she still rejoices in
God and shows an unwavering faith. Both answers have
brought glory to God.
The apostle John wrote a letter that included
instructions for how to pray—how to seek answers from
God. He taught, “We are confident that [God] hears us
whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him”
(1 John 5:14). Believers in Jesus (v.13) have free access
to God and His wisdom. But notice that the focus of our
prayers should be His honor and glory, acknowledging
that He hears us and will give us “what we ask for”
(v.15). I’ve experienced this reality both with my friends’
adopted daughter and with my friend whose cancer
Jesus said, “You can ask for anything in My name,
and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the
Father” (John 14:13). When we pray in Jesus’ name,
we’re praying in Jesus—seeking His desires and His
wisdom. We’re praying to the Father because of the access given to us by the
Son. We’re praying that whatever the outcome, it will honor Jesus and “bring
glory to the Father” (v.13).
There is “great power” in prayer (James 5:16). God hears us, and He will
respond. When He does, however, we must be ready to accept answers that
aren’t necessarily what we want, but that bring Him glory. —Tom Felten
Read Mark 14:36. What does this verse reveal about what our ultimate
focus should be as we seek answers to prayer?
How have you responded to some recent answers from God? Why
is it vital that we pray in Jesus’ name?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more