Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
Answers to Prayers
1 John 5:13
We are confident that He hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him (v.14).
Two answers to prayer. Two perfect answers. The
first came after many of us had prayed for a young
adopted girl from Ethiopia. Before she was adopted,
tests showed that she was HIV positive. After her
adoption, however, subsequent tests revealed no signs
of HIV. We rejoiced! The second answer came after a
friend’s cancer returned. This week she entered hospice.
Not the answer we wanted. The disease is poised to
claim her life soon. We grieve. Yet she still rejoices in
God and shows an unwavering faith. Both answers have
brought glory to God.
The apostle John wrote a letter that included
instructions for how to pray—how to seek answers from
God. He taught, “We are confident that [God] hears us
whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him”
(1 John 5:14). Believers in Jesus (v.13) have free access
to God and His wisdom. But notice that the focus of our
prayers should be His honor and glory, acknowledging
that He hears us and will give us “what we ask for”
(v.15). I’ve experienced this reality both with my friends’
adopted daughter and with my friend whose cancer
Jesus said, “You can ask for anything in My name,
and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the
Father” (John 14:13). When we pray in Jesus’ name,
we’re praying in Jesus—seeking His desires and His
wisdom. We’re praying to the Father because of the access given to us by the
Son. We’re praying that whatever the outcome, it will honor Jesus and “bring
glory to the Father” (v.13).
There is “great power” in prayer (James 5:16). God hears us, and He will
respond. When He does, however, we must be ready to accept answers that
aren’t necessarily what we want, but that bring Him glory. —Tom Felten
Read Mark 14:36. What does this verse reveal about what our ultimate
focus should be as we seek answers to prayer?
How have you responded to some recent answers from God? Why
is it vital that we pray in Jesus’ name?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more