Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed (v.74).
I didn’t think it would be that difficult. But as the technician placed the X-ray shield over my knee, handed me the headphones, and left the room, a sense of uncertainty surrounded me like the MRI machine I was lying in. Even though my head and shoulders remained outside the tunnel, I felt trapped. My mind raced, as I discovered flight responses never before encountered. Watching the countdown clock on the upper part of the machine, I wondered if my heart and mind would quiet down or if the next few minutes would include me jumping out of the machine in a mad fit of panic.
From our perspective in history, we criticize Peter for his decision to run during Jesus’ greatest hour of need. After all, we reason, Peter had seen the miracles, he had heard Jesus’ need (Matthew 26:41), and he had promised to go with Him all the way—even to the point of death (v.35). How could he turn and act so cowardly?
But, if we’re honest, there have been times in our lives when we’ve run when we should remain steadfast in Jesus. Far from existing as automatons, we have built-in triggers that can cause us to take flight from perceived dangerous situations. Fear is one of those powerful triggers.
Jesus invited Peter into one of the deepest mysteries of heaven: His death and resurrection (vv.27-29). Entering into a kingdom perspective, however, requires our own encounter with death. Just as Peter learned, our flight or fight instinct—the desire to save ourselves—must be surrendered at the cross (v.39). Freedom comes when, face to face with our own inadequacies, we love Jesus more than we fear pain (John 15:13; 1 John 4:18).
Read Acts 4:1-31 to see Peter living out faith in Jesus and victory over fear through the power of God.
How is fear preventing you from living out what God has called you to do? What are some practical ways to fully surrender to Him and His plans?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more