Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed (v.74).
I didn’t think it would be that difficult. But as the technician placed the X-ray shield over my knee, handed me the headphones, and left the room, a sense of uncertainty surrounded me like the MRI machine I was lying in. Even though my head and shoulders remained outside the tunnel, I felt trapped. My mind raced, as I discovered flight responses never before encountered. Watching the countdown clock on the upper part of the machine, I wondered if my heart and mind would quiet down or if the next few minutes would include me jumping out of the machine in a mad fit of panic.
From our perspective in history, we criticize Peter for his decision to run during Jesus’ greatest hour of need. After all, we reason, Peter had seen the miracles, he had heard Jesus’ need (Matthew 26:41), and he had promised to go with Him all the way—even to the point of death (v.35). How could he turn and act so cowardly?
But, if we’re honest, there have been times in our lives when we’ve run when we should remain steadfast in Jesus. Far from existing as automatons, we have built-in triggers that can cause us to take flight from perceived dangerous situations. Fear is one of those powerful triggers.
Jesus invited Peter into one of the deepest mysteries of heaven: His death and resurrection (vv.27-29). Entering into a kingdom perspective, however, requires our own encounter with death. Just as Peter learned, our flight or fight instinct—the desire to save ourselves—must be surrendered at the cross (v.39). Freedom comes when, face to face with our own inadequacies, we love Jesus more than we fear pain (John 15:13; 1 John 4:18).
Read Acts 4:1-31 to see Peter living out faith in Jesus and victory over fear through the power of God.
How is fear preventing you from living out what God has called you to do? What are some practical ways to fully surrender to Him and His plans?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more