Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tested and Proven
Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart (Proverbs 17:3).
We live in an age of testing. The food we eat, the medicine we take, and the toys our children play with have all been rigorously tested before being sold to us. This helps us to be assured of their safety, quality, functionality, usability, and reliability.
Because of their unbelief and disobedience, God forced the Israelites to spend 40 years wandering in the desert (Numbers 14:29-35). He didn’t abandon them but protected and provided for them during their lengthy journey (Exodus 13:21-22, 16:35; Deuteronomy 8:4, 15-16, 32:10). God put them into an intensive 4-decade “training program,” purposefully leading them into difficult circumstances for three reasons:
• to prove their character, seeing if they truly loved Him with all their heart and soul (8:2, 13:3).
• to test their faithfulness and obedience to God (8:2).
• to teach them the necessity, centrality, and sufficiency of God’s Word in their lives (v.3).
The troubles and difficulties you’re going through are part of God’s training program “for your own good” (vv.5,16). These trials are like final exams in God’s school of discipleship—designed to prove the quality of your faith (Proverbs 17:3; 1 Peter 1:7) and to help you mature in it (Job 23:10; Isaiah 48:10; Romans 5:3-5; James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 4:12-13).
It’s normal for us to insist that the things we use must be vigorously tested before they’re sold to us. But sometimes we resist and don’t have a similar acceptance or gratitude for the spiritual tests that come our way. We can even become bitter or angry at God when He allows them to enter our lives. Instead, may we realize that an untested life can’t be trusted.
According to Romans 5:3-5, James 1:2-4, and 1 Peter 4:12-13, what’s the value and benefit of being tested?
What test are you going through at this moment? How does knowing that God is the One who is testing you enable and help you to complete and pass the test?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more