Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tested and Proven
Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart (Proverbs 17:3).
We live in an age of testing. The food we eat, the medicine we take, and the toys our children play with have all been rigorously tested before being sold to us. This helps us to be assured of their safety, quality, functionality, usability, and reliability.
Because of their unbelief and disobedience, God forced the Israelites to spend 40 years wandering in the desert (Numbers 14:29-35). He didn’t abandon them but protected and provided for them during their lengthy journey (Exodus 13:21-22, 16:35; Deuteronomy 8:4, 15-16, 32:10). God put them into an intensive 4-decade “training program,” purposefully leading them into difficult circumstances for three reasons:
• to prove their character, seeing if they truly loved Him with all their heart and soul (8:2, 13:3).
• to test their faithfulness and obedience to God (8:2).
• to teach them the necessity, centrality, and sufficiency of God’s Word in their lives (v.3).
The troubles and difficulties you’re going through are part of God’s training program “for your own good” (vv.5,16). These trials are like final exams in God’s school of discipleship—designed to prove the quality of your faith (Proverbs 17:3; 1 Peter 1:7) and to help you mature in it (Job 23:10; Isaiah 48:10; Romans 5:3-5; James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 4:12-13).
It’s normal for us to insist that the things we use must be vigorously tested before they’re sold to us. But sometimes we resist and don’t have a similar acceptance or gratitude for the spiritual tests that come our way. We can even become bitter or angry at God when He allows them to enter our lives. Instead, may we realize that an untested life can’t be trusted.
According to Romans 5:3-5, James 1:2-4, and 1 Peter 4:12-13, what’s the value and benefit of being tested?
What test are you going through at this moment? How does knowing that God is the One who is testing you enable and help you to complete and pass the test?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more