Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Brothers and Sisters
A brother is born to help in time of need (v.17).
Julian and Adrian Riester were born in Buffalo, New York, in 1919. The identical twins lived their lives in sync—attending the same schools (where they enjoyed switching identities and fooling teachers) and taking many trips together over their 92 years on earth. Eventually, they both became Franciscan friars and spent most of their time at New York’s St. Bonaventure University, serving as craftsmen and gardeners. In June 2011, they both died at the same hospital within hours of each other.Scripture speaks of a brotherhood (and sisterhood) within the family of God, a community that creates a radical, shared life. In the Bible, two of the most frequent terms used to describe those in God’s community are brothers and sisters (for example: “Dear brothers and sisters . . .” Romans 10:1). And this isn’t simply a metaphor. Rather, the New Testament insists that—with God as our Father and Jesus as our brother—our unity in Jesus Christ truly makes us a new kind of family. In God’s family we’re called to be at one another’s side in moments of sorrow as well as during moments of joy. We’re “born to help in time of need” (Proverbs 17:17). We stay with one another when it’s comfortable and when it’s hard, when it’s to our advantage and when it costs us dearly. When it seems like a natural response and when it goes against every natural instinct. “A friend is always loyal,” says the proverb (v.17). This kind of brotherhood and countercultural friendship reveals to the world that a new order has been set in motion. God has created a new kind of family in the world. This is a place where we receive and give the love and the help we all so desperately need.
Read 1 John 4:7. Observe how many times the word love is used. The author says he’s writing to “friends” (v.7). What’s the connection between biblical friendship and biblical love?
Who are your brothers and sisters—your friends? How can you give yourself to them in ways that reflect God’s vision for a new kind of family?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more