Beautiful GarbageWhat garbage do you need to bring to Jesus in repentance today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Brothers and Sisters
A brother is born to help in time of need (v.17).
Julian and Adrian Riester were born in Buffalo, New York, in 1919. The identical twins lived their lives in sync—attending the same schools (where they enjoyed switching identities and fooling teachers) and taking many trips together over their 92 years on earth. Eventually, they both became Franciscan friars and spent most of their time at New York’s St. Bonaventure University, serving as craftsmen and gardeners. In June 2011, they both died at the same hospital within hours of each other.Scripture speaks of a brotherhood (and sisterhood) within the family of God, a community that creates a radical, shared life. In the Bible, two of the most frequent terms used to describe those in God’s community are brothers and sisters (for example: “Dear brothers and sisters . . .” Romans 10:1). And this isn’t simply a metaphor. Rather, the New Testament insists that—with God as our Father and Jesus as our brother—our unity in Jesus Christ truly makes us a new kind of family. In God’s family we’re called to be at one another’s side in moments of sorrow as well as during moments of joy. We’re “born to help in time of need” (Proverbs 17:17). We stay with one another when it’s comfortable and when it’s hard, when it’s to our advantage and when it costs us dearly. When it seems like a natural response and when it goes against every natural instinct. “A friend is always loyal,” says the proverb (v.17). This kind of brotherhood and countercultural friendship reveals to the world that a new order has been set in motion. God has created a new kind of family in the world. This is a place where we receive and give the love and the help we all so desperately need.
Read 1 John 4:7. Observe how many times the word love is used. The author says he’s writing to “friends” (v.7). What’s the connection between biblical friendship and biblical love?
Who are your brothers and sisters—your friends? How can you give yourself to them in ways that reflect God’s vision for a new kind of family?
- Beautiful Garbage - What garbage do you need to bring to Jesus in repentance today?...read more
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more