Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
You have been deceived by your own pride (v.3).
C. S. Lewis wrote in Mere Christianity, “There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; . . . There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it in ourselves the more we dislike it in others.” Can you guess what it is?
Obadiah wrote that God was angry with Edom due to her pride (vv.2-3). And, in fact, the people of Edom were proud of many things:
• Their security (v.3). Because of the city’s configuration, it was almost impregnable.
• Their wealth (vv.5-6). The major trade routes of the Middle East went through Edom. Consequently Edom could tax all the commerce that came via these routes.
• Their alliances (v.7). Due to its strategic location, all the surrounding nations wanted to establish a good relationship with the Edomites.
• Their wisdom (vv.8-9). Because they were on the trade route, they encountered educated men from many different lands.
So Edom was strong, rich, smart, and had good connections. Are we filled with pride for the same reasons? The simplest manifestation of pride is self-sufficiency. We feel that we can do it on our own, and we begin to measure everything and everyone by our own standards.
Be warned. For “God opposes the proud but favors the humble” (James 4:6). Or as one writer stated, “Men who trust in anything short of God are like the man who in a thunderstorm takes shelter under a tree, whose tall branches attract the lightning, which scorches him to ashes.”
—Poh Fang Chia
What issues with pride are you encountering in your life? How can you keep your pride in check?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more