Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
You have been deceived by your own pride (v.3).
C. S. Lewis wrote in Mere Christianity, “There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; . . . There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it in ourselves the more we dislike it in others.” Can you guess what it is?
Obadiah wrote that God was angry with Edom due to her pride (vv.2-3). And, in fact, the people of Edom were proud of many things:
• Their security (v.3). Because of the city’s configuration, it was almost impregnable.
• Their wealth (vv.5-6). The major trade routes of the Middle East went through Edom. Consequently Edom could tax all the commerce that came via these routes.
• Their alliances (v.7). Due to its strategic location, all the surrounding nations wanted to establish a good relationship with the Edomites.
• Their wisdom (vv.8-9). Because they were on the trade route, they encountered educated men from many different lands.
So Edom was strong, rich, smart, and had good connections. Are we filled with pride for the same reasons? The simplest manifestation of pride is self-sufficiency. We feel that we can do it on our own, and we begin to measure everything and everyone by our own standards.
Be warned. For “God opposes the proud but favors the humble” (James 4:6). Or as one writer stated, “Men who trust in anything short of God are like the man who in a thunderstorm takes shelter under a tree, whose tall branches attract the lightning, which scorches him to ashes.”
—Poh Fang Chia
What issues with pride are you encountering in your life? How can you keep your pride in check?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more