Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
You have been deceived by your own pride (v.3).
C. S. Lewis wrote in Mere Christianity, “There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which every one in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else; . . . There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it in ourselves the more we dislike it in others.” Can you guess what it is?
Obadiah wrote that God was angry with Edom due to her pride (vv.2-3). And, in fact, the people of Edom were proud of many things:
• Their security (v.3). Because of the city’s configuration, it was almost impregnable.
• Their wealth (vv.5-6). The major trade routes of the Middle East went through Edom. Consequently Edom could tax all the commerce that came via these routes.
• Their alliances (v.7). Due to its strategic location, all the surrounding nations wanted to establish a good relationship with the Edomites.
• Their wisdom (vv.8-9). Because they were on the trade route, they encountered educated men from many different lands.
So Edom was strong, rich, smart, and had good connections. Are we filled with pride for the same reasons? The simplest manifestation of pride is self-sufficiency. We feel that we can do it on our own, and we begin to measure everything and everyone by our own standards.
Be warned. For “God opposes the proud but favors the humble” (James 4:6). Or as one writer stated, “Men who trust in anything short of God are like the man who in a thunderstorm takes shelter under a tree, whose tall branches attract the lightning, which scorches him to ashes.”
—Poh Fang Chia
What issues with pride are you encountering in your life? How can you keep your pride in check?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more